New member - Claus dx with 'Heart block' arrhythmia

  • maryalphaclaus
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6 9:44 AM
      Hi all,
      My 16 y.o. CRF/HyperT Claus von Kitty had an echo yesterday. I took him to vet Friday because I noticed 'shallow' breathing, not not open mouth type. Reg. vet listened to his heart and said there was a very disorganized heart beat, some slow, some faster. The vet cardiologist phoned me this a.m. to tell me that Claus has an arrhythmia called 'heart block' where every other beat is not conducted, and so instead of 160 BPM he's only beating a full 80-90 bpm. Cardiologist said there are two meds that would help speed up his heart to beat normally, but they are contraindicated due to CRF and HyperT. She said this is basically an aging process that has caused it, not due to Hyper T or CRF, but I can see where there is an even more delicate balancing act ahead in keeping his T-4 level at optimum, and we don't want it to get too low of course.
      Is this also known as brachycardia? Is this common among the list members? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      Cardiologist did say that it would be best to keep Claus from getting stressed, because if he gets excited and his heart tries to pump faster, he can't do it now and without enough oxygen/BP getting to his brain if he gets excited, he would likely faint. She said he should be ok and can probably cope with this, even though there is also mild HCM as well.

      I have a very spirited 4 y.o. male, Nomad, who desperately wants to play with Claus and this upsets Claus with him hissing and striking back at Nomad. Claus was never very playful as far as romping around, but he's been fairly active and mildly playful. So I've been advised to try to separate them. I have a very small condo and there is not a separate room in which to confine Claus.
      Claus gets LRS 150 ml/day, which I am giving in smaller doses now 75 ml each.
      His bloodwork looked pretty good Friday, with all levels normal except BUN, CRE, Platelets, Potassium and T-4.
      Here's a brief summary of his 2/1/13 bloodwork:

      HCT 30.3 (30.3-52.3)
      Retic 4.1 (3.0-50)
      Platelets 38 (151-600)
      BUN 46 (16-36) (prev. 48 in Nov.)
      CRE 3.0 (.8-2.4) (prev. 2.3 in Nov.)
      ALT 72 (12-130)
      Ca 9.8 (7.8-11.3)
      Phosph 5.0 (3.1-7.5)
      K 3.6 (3.5-5.8)
      Na 162 (150-165)

      T-4 6.7 (.8-4.7) prev. in Nov was 3.9)
      Friday his BPM avg'd 90bpm, BP was 189/115 and 197/93 third try. He weighs 9.5 oz.
      My precious boy is solid white with stunnning bright green eyes and I am devastated at this new dx.

      His meds are: Methimazole now increased to 1.25mg 2x day (was gradually increased from .625mg 2x day to .9mg 2xday.
      LRS fluids 75 ml/2x day
      COQ10 30-40 mg/day
      Pumpkin 1/2 tsp/2x day in food, and Miralax 1/2 tsp 2x day chronic constipation.
      Vit B complex 4x week orally syringed with baby food.
      Vit B12 500 mcg 2x day in food. (mthylcobalamin form)
      Occasional potassium supplement, has not needed in several months, will slightly increase now.
      Occasional Lysine 2x week for immune system.
      I'm wondering if the 'slightly high' sodium needs addessing?
      Was getting ALOH phosph. binder last year when dx in March with CRF and HyperT. Phosph. has been in mid 4's since July til now.
      Eats occasional Purina NF but mostly Authority canned chicken and occasional dry Nat. Balance chicken or duck/pea.
      Eats well and is pooping and drinking well.

      Sorry for long post, hope some of this info is helpful.
      I am going to obtain a Feliway product to aid in calming Claus and Nomad. Don't know which one to buy, any thoughts?
      Thank you for any suggestions.
      Mary, mom to Claus and Nomad (with angels Misty & Hamlet in spirit)
    • June Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6 1:22 PM
        Hi Mary,

        I'm so sorry to hear about Claus's additional diagnosis and know how upset you must be.

        There is some information regarding heart block and brachycardia here: http://www.veterinariamachado.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/arritmias-felinas.pdf

        Regarding Feliway, I have used the plug in diffuser: http://www.medicanimal.com/setSessionLocale/product?product_id=372&locale=en_GB&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&gclid=CLef4LnIorUCFY7KtAoduEEAFg%c2%a0for some years with great success for all my kitties.  I currently have one in the bedroom where my Daisy is spending most of her time and it helps her greatly.  Sometimes she even goes and sits in front of it as though she wants a closer sniff.  I also had one in the living room where Freddie spent most of his time recovering from his dental in December.

        There is also a Feliway spray which I use on the cat carrier cushions when going to the vet (allow fifteen minutes after sparying before putting kitty in the carrier) and which I have also sprayed on their cuhions (spray when kitty is not on the cushion and allow 15 minutes after spraying before letting kitty back onto it).

        My vet also uses Feliway in their kennels.

        Hope this helps and will be keepng Claus in my thoughts and prayers.

        Best wishes,

        June, Freddie and Daisy and Angels Felix, Smudge and Fleur

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7 2:27 AM
          Hi

          I am sorry I don't know anything about this condition, none of my heart
          cats have that arhythmia. But the feliway I use is the spray for baskets for
          trips to the vet. I`d get the plug in diffuser though and let it permeate
          the room, both cats will benefit and feel more comfortable with each other:)