Re: [FH] rapid breathing and CHF

  • marianna.mayer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
      Yes, Jordan. In my experience fluid can build quickly.
      I lost my sweet Izzy this way. From the moment I saw him sitting in a way that was not typical, albeit not neccesarily alarming was less than an hour. I saw him leave his bed and sit down to rest on his side in the middle of the room. There he repeatedly raised his tail up and down slowly...somehow I just felt something was amiss. From that instance to his death was less than 60 mins...the time it took for me to call his cardio vet for advice, calculate his heart beat per minute, breaths per minute, and then rush him to a facility. He died on the way, and it was a horrible death for Izzy while I drove and watched helplessly. Perhaps if I had lasix on hand, Izzy's tragic death could have been averted. It migt have given me precious time enough to get him to the vet. I will never know, b/c Izzy was never Rx lasix.

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2013
        Hi Jordan,

        I'm relatively new to all this stuff but the biggest challenge for our (blind) Lumi will be fluid. Unfortunately, we're learning a trip to the vet hospital is so stressful that it brings on a fluid crisis.

        Several weeks ago, Lumi had a fluid emergency partially brought on by a vet visit. (Oxygen and Lasix injections followed overnight.) Fluid wasn't yet on our radar, but he then went on a minimum dose of Lasix.

        Last week, he had a second fluid emergency -- also brought on by a follow-up trip to the cardiologist. This time, we were on the lookout for signs. His heart doctor checked him upon arrival: no concerns. But then, after 10 minutes of checks/tests, Lumi didn't look as good so he listened again: major fluid concerns. (Again, he stayed for ~5 hours on oxygen and Lasix injections.)

        The doctor really couldn't believe how quickly the situation turned around: 10 minutes! We think he had a little bit of fluid but the stress of the visit made it much worse. Now his Lasix dose at home has been doubled.

        So our experience is that fluid can, indeed, come on quickly if the kitty is stressed.

        Lisa and Lumi