Fuzz Pancreatitis

  • Dana McCormick
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hi,

      Dr thinks it's pancreatitits. Starting Wed night, the Dr wanted us to give him 50ml of fluids (which didn't thrill me, but he was dehydrated). Thursday night we added Cypro and he started eating a little. Fri he was really good morning and night and actually ate his usual 3 FF cans plus dry. So I skipped the fluids and Cypro that night. Sat am he was good, but later in the afternoon he was horrible. So we gave the fluids and Cypro again. Sun am he was acting better, but didn't want to eat much. He also had poop all over him Sun am and this am.

      I'm afraid of the stress on his heart while we battle this trying to get under control.

      Ideas?

      Thanks,

      Dana & Fuzz

    • Elise Eisfelder
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
        Hi Diane and sorry about the pancreatitis. Max has chronic pan for three years. It can make cats nauseous and it can be painful. If you give cyproheptadine without something for nausea you can cause food aversions. I use ondansetron twice a day for that and then rarely need cyproheptadine. Max only needs 1/8 a 4mg cyproheptadine when necessary but does require mg of ondansetron. He weighs about 14 & 1/2 pounds. All amounts of food more often seems to help as well. Sometimes diet changes like grain free or novel protein but in our case I can't isolate a cause. There's a yahoo group for this you might consider
        joining and it has helped me a lot.

        Elise
        Sent from my iPhone
      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
          Hi Mary,

          Yes, I have joined the Pancreatitis group. Fuzz is on Cerenia, Buprenex, Cypro, 50ml fluids
          daily, in addition to his heart meds.

          I am having an u/s and the fPL test done tomorrow. My vet sends to Texas A&M.

          How did you fare balancing the heart/pancreatitis or was it non-heart kitties that had the pancreatitis?

          Thanks,

          Dana