Re: [FH] I had to put my kittie to sleep today

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2013
      Hi Linda -- I am so sorry to hear about Yoyo. Yes, there are certainly some incompetent vets out there, I'm glad you took Yoyo for a second opinion.

      She definitely had heart disease, and started to go into heart failure. Her lungs were filling with fluid, and that is why she was breathing so hard. Once they start devloping the fluid, it's a constant battle to keep their lungs clear. You might have been able to stabilize her and kept her going for a few more months or even a couple years, but it would have involved a lot of medications and treatments and constant running to the ER, etc... and constant watching and worrying.

      Each of us has to make this decision for our kitties. It is very difficult, but we owe them a good life and a peaceful death. We have to draw a line in the sand, as to how far we will go to keep our heart-kitties going, or if we let them go before they really start to suffer.

      The second vet you saw understood this. She did the right thing. She helped you give Yoyo the final gift of love, to thank her for giving you all her love all her life. She is now happy and healthy again and waiting for you at the Bridge.

      Each of us will have to face this decison, but all that matters is the quality of life for our kitties. You did the right thing, so do not regret. Open your heart to a new kitty who is looking for someone just like you to give all her love to. She will fill the hole in your heart and help heal you.

      we are here for you ---
      take care -- Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too in Toronto

    • Diane
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2013
        So sorry to hear of your Yoyo. :(

        I would see if there is an owner of the practice and file a complaint
        with them. It's not like you'd ever be going back there again anyway.
        I had a vet in my practice draw blood (and xrays!) for my youngest
        when I feared she was having a constipation issue. She came up with a
        condition and was complete doom and gloom. When I brought her back in
        for the recheck, I saw the owner, and he looked at all the bloodwork
        and had a fit over what this woman did, there was really nothing
        wrong with my cat. Now, the owner is pretty laid back and I know this
        but she was way too far in the other direction.

        Know you did everything you could and you did it with love. That's
        all anyone can ever ask for.

        All my best
        Diane
        Feline Heart List Mom