Re: Benazepril

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
      Hi

      That's very strange. It hasn't got alcohol in it or anything has it? Have
      you checked the label to see if it is actually benazepril? It sounds like my
      cats when they get vetergesic or valium.

    • plklein12
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2014

        Hello.   I've been a dormant member here for several  years, but my cardiac patient (7 1/2 years old) has been stable since diagnosis (he was 1 1/2) without medication.    At his annual echo in October, the cardiologist said his heart measurements had started to worsen, and told me to come back in 6 months instead of a year.   Today was the followup, and they've worsened again, so she wants my Sherman on Benazepril.   Nothing else, no current risk of blood clots.     I'm not thrilled about the drug, particularly since I'll have to get his kidneys checked in a few weeks.    But it is what it is.    Has anyone's cat experienced side effects from Benazepril?  I'm the anti-drug kinda gal, and am trying to wrap my arms around what to expect.

        Thanks,

        Phyllis

      • ESID
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 6, 2014
          Re: [FH] Benazepril Phyllis, benazepril and enalapril, which many cats are on, are ACE inhibitors and it is customary to have the kidneys checked at least once, if not twice over the first weeks after starting either because they can raise the kidney values in –some- cats. I was asked to check after 5-7 days the latest.

          Enalapril is mostly cleared by the kidneys while Benazepril is mostly cleared by the liver, so Benazepril is easier on the kidneys, esp. if  you may be asked to start a diuretic like furosemide sometime later which stresses the kidneys.  You can read more about these drugs at
          www.marvistavet.com/html/benazepril.html
          www.marvistavet.com/html/enalapril.html
          www.marvistavet.com/html/furosemide.html

          In heart failure patients, when benazepril is commonly given in conjunction
          with a diuretic (like furosemide), kidney parameters (BUN and Creatinine)
          should be measured prior to benazepril use, again 3-7 days
          after benazepril therapy has started, and periodically thereafter.
          Kidney function should also be rechecked after any dose change in the heart failure patient.”

          http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments_misc.htm#telmisartan1

          Blood clots, once one or they happen, it can be too late, for that reason you need to have progression of the heart condition checked probably more often than after 6 months, I would think. The clotting can happen in response to slowed down, pooling blood transport or stagnation in one of the heart’s areas. My kitty developed tubules off his enlarged left atrium over a few months period where the blood sits stagnant because his ability to contract and move the blood had lessened over 4 months even while on 4 heart medications incl. Benazepril, the fifth medication aspirin had to be added twice a week. That makes it two anti clotting medications, Plavix and Aspirin.

          You might consider seeing another cardiologist, to make sure that this is all your boy Sherman needs. I am also in general for less medication  is better when it comes to all these drugs, many untested in cats, but with the heart life -expectancy- already so shortened and depending on what the malfunction is, I was forced to change my approach. Coming from kidney disease where Benazepril is often prescribed as a one pill fixes all kidney problems in Europe and as a ‘lets try this also...’ in the US, I was always very weary of it, but now esp. if proteinuria is confirmed, I have come to appreciate Benazepril more.

          I know seeing an additional cardiologist is another big expense, but compared to the alternative of something left undone once diagnosed and once told things have worsened since the last visit, it seems unusual to only give benazepril and then wait with a heart check another 6 months.

          When you have the kidneys tested in a few days you might as well do the small vetscreen to also get the liver values.
          It really depends on the individual situation if Benazepril would cause side effects or not.

          HThs,

          Erika with Sammy DCM and CRF

          on 4/5/14 19:17 , plklein12@... at plklein12@... wrote:

          Hello.   I've been a dormant member here for several  years, but my cardiac patient (7 1/2 years old) has been stable since diagnosis (he was 1 1/2) without medication.    At his annual echo in October, the cardiologist said his heart measurements had started to worsen, and told me to come back in 6 months instead of a year.   Today was the followup, and they've worsened again, so she wants my Sherman on Benazepril <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazepril> .   Nothing else, no current risk of blood clots.     I'm not thrilled about the drug, particularly since I'll have to get his kidneys checked in a few weeks.    But it is what it is.    Has anyone's cat experienced side effects from Benazepril?  I'm the anti-drug kinda gal, and am trying to wrap my arms around what to expect.

          Thanks,

          Phyllis

        • Nathalie
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2014
            Hello,

            So my cat is already taking lots of meds for hyperthyroid and heart and vet added benazepril.

            I feel nervous to add a new med, it is already difficult with the ones I have to give.

            Does benazepril have a strong taste? Is it difficult to give to the cat? Should I have it compounded?

            Thanks!

            Nathalie
          • Cindy Deukmejian
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2014
              Hi Nathalie~

              When I was giving Benazapril to my angel Abbey, it was a super tiny little white pill that she then got 1/2 of.  Unless things have changed in the past year, it should be easy to administer because of the size.  It was also very inexpensive.  My Abbey was taking 5 different meds twice a day and I was fortunate that she would cradle in my arms and let me push them down her throat.  I would use the cat chicken pill pockets and tear off a little bit of the pill pocket and do a thin wrap around each pill so that there was no aftertaste and it wouldn't get stuck on her tongue.  One pocket usually lasted 2-3 days.  It did take me a little bit of time to figure out that this was the trick that worked for her.  I know it's hard and I wish you the best.

              Cindy

              .

            • Shi loh
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2014
                Ho Nathalie-

                My Delilah only receives Benazepril 1.25mg per day, which is 1/4 of a tab.  She takes it squished in a soft treat fine.  I do notice there must be a difference in taste between manufacturers.  We were using a brand that must have had more fillers, because the tabs were much larger.  Delilah did not mind those at all.  The new Benazepril is very small, so 1/4 pill is tiny.  If the pill falls out of the treat, Delilah will not touch it.  When we used the larger Benazepril, she would even eat the pill when it fell out of the treat.

                Take Care.
                -Shiloh

                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2014
                    My cats all take this and it's a beef flavoured pill and they love it:) Biggest risk is stopping one eating the whole lot