Re: [FH] Chloe Update
- I don't doubt that you are exhausted. Having to think this hard against so much stress is very hard. You are on uncharted territory, and you know it! I know how that feels.
You are doing everything I would do, and I have the benefit of hindsight...no comfort for me, but it may help Chloe.
I think your decision to join Assisted-Feeding is brilliant. Assisted feeding will prevent dehydration...after all you are adding fluid to the mix to make it easy to syringe feed, right? The Assisted-Feeding group can give you an good gauge as to how much Chloe should be eating based on her optimum weight. Just ask them to help you arrive at how many ounces per meal and how frequently. Usually they suggest 5--6 times per day at the minimum...at least that what I recall. Better check.
Also Chloe's lack of appetite may have to do with the spiro. I have not used this med, but some members have thought it does deter appetite. So will some of the heart meds Rx.
Have you tried pepcid AC? 1/4 of a tab of a *10* mg tablet 2 X daily, about an 1 to 2 hrs away from meds and with food. If not, you may want to give pepcid AC a try for a day or two to see if it helps along with all the other great thing you are now doing. It is bitter tasting, so you will have to do a good job of disguising the taste.
Thank goodness for your sensible mother! Having a loving, trusted someone to exchange thoughts with is invaluable during times like this..
>Thank goodness I've got my mother here to bounce ideas off of when I told her about the fluid >situation she rightly said to not even attempt it if I think Chloe is in dire need of fluids over >the weekend, call the Emergency Hospital, explain the situation, bring Chloe over and let >them give the fluids and monitor her makes much more sense than the vet's "go it on your >own and hope for the best" scenario.Suzanne and Chloe
>I'm exhausted, but still determined to give Chloe every chance possible she's accepting the >syringe feedings not happily, but doing OK I should have started it much sooner
>Here's hoping for a peaceful night,
From: zan200 <zan200@...>
To: feline-heart <email@example.com>
Sent: Sat, Feb 2, 2013 12:08 am
Subject: [FH] Chloe Update
First I want to thank EVERYONE for their wonderful notes of support - again, your kindness, caring, and valuable advice are major reasons why Chloe is still here with me.
Chloe's vet called me early this afternoon - Chloe's kidney values are still OK (remarkable considering Chloe's present situation), but the fluid buildup is extremely serious. Vet is going to increase Chloe's spiro dose from 1/8 to 1/4 tab (6.25mgs) 2X per day, along with the 1 tab Lasix (12.5mgs), and the 1/2 tab enalapril (1.25mgs) also, 2X per day. I had asked about increasing the spiro, so I must have been on the right track...
After the medication discussion, the conversation with the vet got "interesting". Since Chloe was still not eating (vet was hoping the buprenorphine injection yesterday would perk Chloe up enough to eat - it did not), she explained that Chloe would most likely need some Sub-Q fluids over the weekend to avoid becoming dangerously dehydrated. She didn't give Chloe any Sub-Q fluids yesterday because she was afraid of the possible life-threatening side effects of adding more fluid to Chloe's already fluid filled chest but she wants me to do it Uh???
I first asked about the side effects from the fluids Dangerous increase in respiration rate. The fluid might not be absorbed into the skin, but fill up the chest.
Should I immediately give extra Lasix? Yes.
Is it possible the extra Lasix won't work? Yes.
I assume this would be an emergency. Yes.
I asked if it was possible to give a smaller amount of fluid. Yes. 25mls.
I then asked how I can avoid having to give any fluids at all - Increased spiro may get rid of more of the fluid, making Chloe feel better, thus making her want to eat. If she eats, her need for fluids decreases.
I then asked if it would help if I began assist-feeding Chloe. Yes. She did not elaborate on how much food Chloe needs or how best to administer it
Can I get in contact with her? Office closes 5:00PM until Monday.
Final thoughts from vet Good Luck Call in on Monday
I was flabbergasted The vet is telling me she was afraid to give Chloe fluids, while at the same time telling me I'm probably going to have to do it alone on a weekend???
Needless to say, I was not happy First thing I did was run to my computer, get over to the Feline Assisted Feeding group, and get going. I got out my immersion blender and within the hour Chloe received her first Fancy Feast milkshake via syringe I started with 10mls Chloe was not happy, but actually wanted to nibble a bit on her own about an hour later I don't want to overload her, but Chloe's had 3 "milkshakes" so far I'm trying for every 3 hours up until bedtime
Thank goodness I've got my mother here to bounce ideas off of when I told her about the fluid situation she rightly said to not even attempt it if I think Chloe is in dire need of fluids over the weekend, call the Emergency Hospital, explain the situation, bring Chloe over and let them give the fluids and monitor her makes much more sense than the vet's "go it on your own and hope for the best" scenario.
I'm exhausted, but still determined to give Chloe every chance possible she's accepting the syringe feedings not happily, but doing OK I should have started it much sooner
Here's hoping for a peaceful night,
Suzanne and Chloe
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]