Hello - I'm new here!

  • lfagla@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
      I'm not sure how to introduce myself - my name is Linda. Hello!

      I came here because my 16 year old cat is having problems breathing. Not horrible according to the vet, but it sounds bad to me. She's not herself either, very listless. He gave her an xray and saw cloudy lungs and heard a gallop so he thinks it's heart disease.

      Yesterday he put her on Lasix, she has had four doses and is peeing more but breathing a little heavier. Does anyone know how long it takes for Lasix to help breathing? Is this normal?

      She's also been getting herself into weird jams like trying to crawl under the bed and getting the lamp cord stuck between her legs and she couldn't get out.

      I told the doctor all of this, but when I take her to the vet, she perks up, looks around, doesn't wheeze as much and walks without problem. He thinks I"m nuts I'm sure.

      Does anybody have any experience with this? I just don't want her to suffer, she's 16 and has a long healthy life. It would hurt me to put her down, but if she has to live like this I'm not sure what the point is. Also I'm afraid she'll hurt herself while I'm at work. Could the lasix still work though?
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2013
        Hi Linda

        The best thing you can do is ask for a referal to a veterinary cardiologist
        for the ultrasound test. It will tell you exactly what is wrong and what
        the best treatment is. There are other heart drugs to help stabilise the
        heart that she can take as well as lasix for the fluid. But a cardiologist is
        an expert in these matters.

        Did the vet consider a type of pneumonia as well? Antibiotics could be
        prescribed for that if its a possibility. But with the murmur it does sound
        like heart disease.

        I recommend the ultrasound test as urgent.

        Lyn:)

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2013
          Linda,

          I am glad you reached out to the group.  You need to see a cardiologist and have an ultrasound done to determine the heart disease.  A cardiologist will be able to prescribe medications (in addition to the lasix) to help.  Heart disease is very serious but with the proper treatment kitties can do quite well.

          Any breathing difficulty is an emergency so try to get the ultrasound done as soon as possible.

          Keep us posted...

          Laurie and Boo

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2013
              At the risk of muddying the waters . . . Is it possible your kitty has feline asthma too??? I only ask because wheezing is a symptom of asthma. My kitty had this for a year before her old cardiologist diagnosed it off a chest X ray.

              Feline asthma is a condition common in the siamese breeds. My Sheba is a Himalayan and suffers from BOTH feline asthma and heart disease.

              Love
              Jordan and Sheba

              Sent from my iPad