Atenolol question ? SEB syrup dosage ?

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2013
      I searched the site but couldn't find the answer, but I thought the Atenolol could be made into a compound to put on the inside of the ear ?
      I am ONLY asking this because
      I was wondering if anyone thought the Atenolol could cause some acid reflux ? That maybe, this could be the issue for Oreo & this position he is doing.

      I am continuing the SEB, at .50mls twice daily (syrup), plus the Buprenex when needed & was wondering what everyone else is giving of the syrup solution ? The Sucrafalte didn't help, so I gave up on that.
      The vet wants me to try the SEB for one more week increasing the dosage to 1 ml twice daily and I read on Tanyas site that it says up to 2mls , four times a day, is that right ??????? wow, if it is ? That seems like a lot ??
      I have a vet appointment on the weekend to have his blood tests done & am asking for a pancreatitis test as well.
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2013
        hi Susan,

        I usually give at least a teaspoon (5ml) of SEB syrup, up to 3 times a day, ALWAYS away from any other meds or supplements. SEB can inhibit the absorption of other things, so best to give it at least two hours after other things.

        We had Atenolol compounded into a transdermal cream for our angel Snowball, but it didn't work at all that way. It wasn't absorbed much at all. Atenolol can cause them to feel badly. It did with Snowball... lethargic, nauseated... that's why we tried the cream, but the cream was ineffective, so we went back to the pills.

        The pancreatitis test has to be a fasting test, so make sure no food for 12 hours prior to the test. What you want done is the fPLI, fTLI, Cobalamine and Folate and tell the vet you want it done at the Texas A & M (TAMU)Gastrointestinal Lab. I know that Antech and Idexx do it now, but Texas A&M are the experts in this test. I work for a veterinarian, and she doesn't use anyone but TAMU for the test.

        Carol