Re: [FH] RCM longevity

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
      Hi
      Benazipril comes as fortekor in the UK which is a beef flavour pill. All my
      cats love it and eat it straight away

      :) LYn

    • tafoster4000
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
        My Moe went in to CHF last Feb, actually on Leap Day. He was 16. He had gotten subq's at vet because he hadn't been eating nor drinking that much (that turned out to be hyperthyroid, Moe is my third apathetic hypert cat). Anyway 2 days later he is in heart failure and we are in ER which also is a cardiology referral clinic. They tapped 100 ml of fluid off and ECHO showed severe restrictive cardiomyopathy (non hyperT related). Vet said he probably had progressing heart disease for awhile and the fluids just threw him over the edge. Was given 1-2 months since the ECHO was so bad.

        Well he had his 17th birthday last June and is doing fine. He is on lasix, vetmedin, enalapril, potassium, methimazole, plavix, azodyl and prozac (for a spraying issue). Along with AlOH, miralax, B vitamins and cosequin in canned food. I put all his meds in gelcaps. Moe also thinks pill time is treat time, I dip gelcaps in turkey baby food, pill, then Moe gets to lick up the rest of the baby food along with some freeze dried chicken treats. I got a couple of those 7day AM/PM pill holders. Once a week I spend about 30 minutes making up a weeks worth of meds, put all in gelcaps. Then spend at the most 1 minute twice a day giving Moe his meds.

        On vet visits, after the initial heart failure, vet saw him weekly for a couple of weeks until it was determined the current lasix dose was controlling fluid buildup, then a monthly visit, then a 4 month, then 6 months for another full ECHO which showed immensely improved heart function. Moe isn't that stressed at the vets although sometimes he gets grumpy and loud (he is deaf). Although last week he did have to wear the 'cone of shame' for a partial ECHO, he can get bitey.

        We are in the process of lowering his lasix from 12.5mg twice a day to 6.25mg twice a day. His kidney values are starting to creep up. But all things considering, he is doing great.

        Taca

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy" wrote:

        > Thank you, Diane!
        >
        > Seems the prognosis for my cat Patches is he's not expected to survive the year, and I'm trying to grasp all of this.
        >
        > I'm also wondering about having Patches go through the stressful car rides and time at the vets for updated tests, the stress of taking daily prescription drugs, and how that intended benefit impacts the health and longevity of his heart? When I think of this compared to not doing anything at all, I just don't know what would be the 'best' choice and as much as I'm sure that is a personal one for us all, I'd love to hear anyone's perspectives.
        >
        > Thank you so much,
        >
        > Wendy
        >
        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Diane wrote:
        > >
        > > At 10:55 PM +0000 1/23/13, Wendy wrote:
        > > >

        > > >Hi, I'm new and my cat has just been diagnosed with restrictive
        > > >cardiomyopathy. I'm devastated, and trying to get my mind around a
        > > >probable lifespan that he has left to enjoy. Has anyone experienced
        > > >their feline friend living for more than a few months or a year who
        > > >have been diagnosed with RCM? My cat is 6 years old, and otherwise
        > > >in really great health.
        > > >
        > > >Thank you very much for your insights, I'm feeling so scared and
        > > >terrible about this unexpected news, I really appreciate it.
        > >

        > > Hi Wendy,
        > >
        > > My cat Kearra (on the groups home page) was dx'd when she was 3. She
        > > was fine until she threw a clot at 9.
        > >
        > > Diane
        > > Feline Heart List Mom

      • Wendy
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
          Sounds like Moe is doing really great, thank you for all of your information.

          Patches hasn't had a fluid retention problem at all since his heart failure a couple of weeks ago, has been off of lasix for about 12 days now, respiration continues to be normal. At this point I don't see that lasix is warranted, but we'll see how he's doing in another week or so.

          I am going to take him in to a homeopathic vet as well, wanting to partner all avenues for optimal support. I'm also wondering if the root cause of his condition may actually be rooted somewhere else in the body? It may not be.

          Thank you and a warm thank you to Moe!

          Wendy