Re: [FH] RCM longevity

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
      We didn't have to go that often. We may have done 6 mos ultrasounds
      for awhile and then went to one year. I'd have to leave her for the
      day as my vet used someone that travelled and they never knew when
      he'd be there. But I've definitely had cats I'd worry about so I know
      where you're coming from. My current cat is taking meds for suspected
      Feline Herpes and she's not the best with them, but as long as you
      are calm and quick you can minimize the stress.

      HTH,
      Diane

      At 12:52 PM +0000 1/24/13, Wendy wrote:

      >Thank you, Diane!
      >
      >Seems the prognosis for my cat Patches is he's not expected to
      >survive the year, and I'm trying to grasp all of this.
      >
      >I'm also wondering about having Patches go through the stressful car
      >rides and time at the vets for updated tests, the stress of taking
      >daily prescription drugs, and how that intended benefit impacts the
      >health and longevity of his heart? When I think of this compared to
      >not doing anything at all, I just don't know what would be the
      >'best' choice and as much as I'm sure that is a personal one for us
      >all, I'd love to hear anyone's perspectives.
      >
      >Thank you so much,
      >
      >Wendy
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
        Wendy,

        No one can tell you how long Patches has.  My Boo went into heart failure Nov 2011 and after days in ICU in oxygen, she came home.  I was told "months, at best"... well she is lying next to me snoring away and you would never know she is sick (yes over a year later!)

        She was diagnosed with DCM and was put on the following meds:  lasix, plavix, benazepril and vetmedin.  She also receives miralax daily to help with constipation.

        The meds can save Patches' life and certainly make him feel better.  Boo enjoys "pill time" and she actually runs to the kitchen begging for her "pill treats".  Believe me, I was a wreck at first... but in time, it just becomes part of your daily routine.  You can get a plastic pill organizer to help you organize and make sure nothing is missed.  This saved me.

        You will have to assess Patches' stress level going to the vet for check-ups.  Personally Boo stresses way too much so we have made the decision to not do any more check-ups unless of course she shows clinical signs of distress.  Every cat is different and you know best what Patches can tolerate.  Since Boo has been stable, the cardiologist agreed the visits presented too much stress.

        Heart disease is not an immediate death sentence.  Stay positive and remember Patches will pick up on your stress, so enjoy him and give him the best chance to beat the disease by giving him the meds prescribed.

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
          Hi

          Trixi has HCM. She was diagnosed at 3 months old, give a few months to
          live. She is 7 years this August and that is despite a heart attack and a clot.
          Milli was also diagnosed with structural heart problems as a baby, given
          two years maximum and is also seven this June. Both take a lot of
          medication. It has stabilised them and they've had normal happy lives. They love the
          treats at pill time too.

          Remember cats don't listen to the prognosis.

        • Wendy
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
            Thank you all so much for your thoughts and details. It does look like medication can make a huge difference and is worth a few car rides for checkups.

            Lyn I love you comment that cats don't listen to prognosis! I'm going to have to look into the pilling treats option, Patches can be picky and generally does not like cat treats.

            He's been through the ringer this month, started with cystitis which led to subcutaneous fluids and that popped pulmonary edema and all this investigation into his heart. The lasix stressed his kidneys and he wasn't eating so we inserted a feeding tube and his creatinine has gone from 6.0 to about 3.3, so we are close to normal range. Once he's reached normal then we can start the heart meds, the cardiologist wants to begin him on Benazepril.

            This is such a valuable group, thank you so much for your insights.

            Wendy

            > Hi
            >
            > Trixi has HCM. She was diagnosed at 3 months old, give a few months to
            > live. She is 7 years this August and that is despite a heart attack and a clot.
            > Milli was also diagnosed with structural heart problems as a baby, given
            > two years maximum and is also seven this June. Both take a lot of
            > medication. It has stabilised them and they've had normal happy lives. They love the
            > treats at pill time too.
            >
            > Remember cats don't listen to the prognosis.
            >
            > Lyn

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
              Hi
              Benazipril comes as fortekor in the UK which is a beef flavour pill. All my
              cats love it and eat it straight away

              :) LYn

            • tafoster4000
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
                My Moe went in to CHF last Feb, actually on Leap Day. He was 16. He had gotten subq's at vet because he hadn't been eating nor drinking that much (that turned out to be hyperthyroid, Moe is my third apathetic hypert cat). Anyway 2 days later he is in heart failure and we are in ER which also is a cardiology referral clinic. They tapped 100 ml of fluid off and ECHO showed severe restrictive cardiomyopathy (non hyperT related). Vet said he probably had progressing heart disease for awhile and the fluids just threw him over the edge. Was given 1-2 months since the ECHO was so bad.

                Well he had his 17th birthday last June and is doing fine. He is on lasix, vetmedin, enalapril, potassium, methimazole, plavix, azodyl and prozac (for a spraying issue). Along with AlOH, miralax, B vitamins and cosequin in canned food. I put all his meds in gelcaps. Moe also thinks pill time is treat time, I dip gelcaps in turkey baby food, pill, then Moe gets to lick up the rest of the baby food along with some freeze dried chicken treats. I got a couple of those 7day AM/PM pill holders. Once a week I spend about 30 minutes making up a weeks worth of meds, put all in gelcaps. Then spend at the most 1 minute twice a day giving Moe his meds.

                On vet visits, after the initial heart failure, vet saw him weekly for a couple of weeks until it was determined the current lasix dose was controlling fluid buildup, then a monthly visit, then a 4 month, then 6 months for another full ECHO which showed immensely improved heart function. Moe isn't that stressed at the vets although sometimes he gets grumpy and loud (he is deaf). Although last week he did have to wear the 'cone of shame' for a partial ECHO, he can get bitey.

                We are in the process of lowering his lasix from 12.5mg twice a day to 6.25mg twice a day. His kidney values are starting to creep up. But all things considering, he is doing great.

                Taca

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy" wrote:

                > Thank you, Diane!
                >
                > Seems the prognosis for my cat Patches is he's not expected to survive the year, and I'm trying to grasp all of this.
                >
                > I'm also wondering about having Patches go through the stressful car rides and time at the vets for updated tests, the stress of taking daily prescription drugs, and how that intended benefit impacts the health and longevity of his heart? When I think of this compared to not doing anything at all, I just don't know what would be the 'best' choice and as much as I'm sure that is a personal one for us all, I'd love to hear anyone's perspectives.
                >
                > Thank you so much,
                >
                > Wendy
                >
                > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Diane wrote:
                > >
                > > At 10:55 PM +0000 1/23/13, Wendy wrote:
                > > >

                > > >Hi, I'm new and my cat has just been diagnosed with restrictive
                > > >cardiomyopathy. I'm devastated, and trying to get my mind around a
                > > >probable lifespan that he has left to enjoy. Has anyone experienced
                > > >their feline friend living for more than a few months or a year who
                > > >have been diagnosed with RCM? My cat is 6 years old, and otherwise
                > > >in really great health.
                > > >
                > > >Thank you very much for your insights, I'm feeling so scared and
                > > >terrible about this unexpected news, I really appreciate it.
                > >

                > > Hi Wendy,
                > >
                > > My cat Kearra (on the groups home page) was dx'd when she was 3. She
                > > was fine until she threw a clot at 9.
                > >
                > > Diane
                > > Feline Heart List Mom

              • Wendy
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Sounds like Moe is doing really great, thank you for all of your information.

                  Patches hasn't had a fluid retention problem at all since his heart failure a couple of weeks ago, has been off of lasix for about 12 days now, respiration continues to be normal. At this point I don't see that lasix is warranted, but we'll see how he's doing in another week or so.

                  I am going to take him in to a homeopathic vet as well, wanting to partner all avenues for optimal support. I'm also wondering if the root cause of his condition may actually be rooted somewhere else in the body? It may not be.

                  Thank you and a warm thank you to Moe!

                  Wendy