Re: [FH] HCM / Cardio-strength pills.

  • Dana McCormick
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2013
      Hi Sinead,

      My Fuzzy was diagnosed HCM in June at the age of 5. He takes the Cardio Strength, 1 per day, which is now just labeled for dogs, but is exactly the same as the Cat label was. I spoke to Vetri Science and they confirmed it is the same and OK for cats. It has 20 mg of CoQ10, which my vet feels is not enough, she wants 30 mg/day, so he gets the Cardio Strength plus an additional 30 mg. 30 is the smallest dose I found to supplement with. My guys also all get DMG.

      Dana

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2013
        Hi

        First of all, I highly recommend you see a vat cardiologist. For the
        ultrasound to see his heart, it's unusual that no medication is given for
        moderate HCM, I have always been given atenolol at the least. A cardiologist
        would be able to give medications, for these slow down the progression.

        I used to give Cardiostrength. It was in the UK as Cardio S but wihtdrawn
        as there was such a small market. It is one pill a day which has 20mg Co Q.
        The CoQ is the important one and I give 30mg a day from Holland and Barrett.

        Learn your kitty's breathing, and see whats normal per minute whilst
        resting. Then if it changes you can quickly predict heart failure. Also consider
        nattokinase (I use Doctors Best ) which prevents blood clots which HCM cats
        can be at risk of.

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
          Hi Sinead,

          The Cardio Strength wasn't recommended by my vet. I found it through this group. I joined here in 2006 or so with my Leroy. That is when the Cardio Strength was recommended to me. I showed the printout to my vet and she was on board with it. That is when she mentioned that the 20mg of CoQ isn't enough, hence, the additional 30 I use. I lost my Leroy due to a kidney obstruction, but on his heart regimen, his first echo recheck showed normal values and he remained that way and symptom free for the following years. So yes, I feel his regimen helped him greatly. He was diagnosed mild though, where Fuzz is severe. Fuzz has had improvement since his June diagnosis.

          CoQ10 is a widely used staple supplement for heart.

          Good luck and ask any questions you wish!

          Dana

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
            Jean,

            Healthypets.com.

            Dana

            Sorry to hear about your boy's diagnosis, he is also so very young to have this condition, God bless him.

            Could I ask were the cardiostrength recommended to you by Fuzzy's vet? And have you noticed any improvement or decrease of symptoms or anything like that since using them?

            Also is co enzyme q10 known to be effective in helping heart conditions? Did your vet feel that the other supplements in the cardiostrength were enough in mg?

            Sorry if I have asked you so many questions, just that my Kim's vets all seem very 'matter-of-fact' :-)

            The only retailer shipping to the UK was Amazon.com LLC, I hope that is okay! I have ordered them now. xx

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Dana McCormick  wrote:

            > Hi Sinead,
            >
            > My Fuzzy was diagnosed HCM in June at the age of 5. He takes the Cardio Strength, 1 per day, which is now just labeled for dogs, but is exactly the same as the Cat label was. I spoke to Vetri Science and they confirmed it is the same and OK for cats. It has 20 mg of CoQ10, which my vet feels is not enough, she wants 30 mg/day, so he gets the Cardio Strength plus an additional 30 mg. 30 is the smallest dose I found to supplement with. My guys also all get DMG.
            >
            > Dana

          • Dana McCormick
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
              Jean,

              Yes it is. Luckily, Fuzz, Sylvester & Ruster will swallow the pill. I've never opened one, as they eat dry food. Mr Spoiled Fuzz is now a Fancy Feast boy (he's the only one that gets canned), but I can't put anything in it or he won't eat it; I tried it once with the CoQ10.. So good thing he takes the pill.

              Dana

              From: Dana McCormick <danamcmk@...>
              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 2:59 PM