Re: [FH] Polar Bear had mini stroke 1/19

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
      When Misty had her little stroke episodes, they gave us Plavix to give her, while on it, she had 3 more in two weeks, so we switched her to nattokinase. She's been on the nattokinase since August 2010 when she had the original "strokes" (we're not really sure what they were). She was fine till last April when she had a series of three more of these episodes (couldn't walk, had nystagmus - eyes darting back and forth, it took hours to a whole day for her to get her legs to work again), and since then she's been (knock on wood) okay. She had some kind of hemorage in her right eye on 10/31, not sure what it was related to, but she recovered from that.

      So all in all, the natto has kept her doing okay... not entirely free from whatever these episodes are, but we have more confidence in the natto than we did the plavix. This has just been our experience with it. We give Misty one 36mg softgel twice a day, with her food.

      Carol

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2013
        Hi Mary

        Polar Bear needs something for clots definitely. My Arnold had a stroke
        with exactly the same symptoms aged 19. Cats recover well from stroke as their
        brains don't have areas for movement/vision etc as clear as ours, so other
        parts take over.

        There are two causes of stroke, a blood clot or a bleed. My only concern
        with nattokinase is its dissolves clots and could possibly let another bleed
        happen if it were a bleed in the first place which has since clotted in the
        brain. Other than that nattokinase is a safe pill and mine have been on it
        years too. Plavix would help with a clot by thinning the blood.
        Unfortunately there's no way to tell whether a clot or bleed except by CT scan which
        they would do in humans.

        Josh had a stroke, he has taken nattokinase since. Arnold died before we
        could start him on something for clots.