Re: [FH] emergency

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
      Hi Marie,

      Lili is only receiving a 2.5mg dose of the diuretic?  I am assuming it is lasix?  Usually the 12.5mg tab is split in two, giving a dose in the morning and a dose in the evening.  I definitely think she needs a higher dose.

      As far as the balancing act with the kidneys, the best thing is to continue to do regular blood work to keep an eye on the kidney levels.  Lili definitely needs the diuretic... and heart trumps kidneys.

      There is another diuretic called spirolactone that is gentler on the kidneys you may want to consider adding if the increased lasix dose does not work.  Personally, Boo had an ill reaction so we stopped it, but others in the group have used it successfully.

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
        Thanks Laurie.
        No, she was receiving 2,5 mg of Furozenol (an equivalent of Lasix but one pill is 10mg) in the morning and 2,5 mg at 8 pm.
        It seems that I will have to give her more. Would you give her 2,5 mg three times a day ; or, 2,5 mg in the morning, plus 5 mg at 8 pm?
        Thank you,
        Marie

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
          Hi

          As Laurie said, she is on a very low dose at 2.5mg. My cat have 5mg morning
          and evening as a standard when they are in heart failure. Josh when his
          breathing rate increases gets 10mg. Trixi at her worst had 5mg every 4 hours
          through day and night. But this was for one week only and it did affect her
          kidneys.

          If there is respiratory distress and the breathing rate is higher than
          usual, I would normally give a half lasix which is 10mg. And then call the vet.
          I wouldn't recommend a high dose for a cat with renal issues though, I`d
          get the spironolactone to add to the lasix.

          But 5mg twice a day I`d use as a minimum. However, I would always check
          with my vet first if I changed a dosage unless an emergency.

        • Laurie Stead
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
            Hi Marie,

            I am not familiar with Furozenol but I would definitely get in touch with the cardiologist as soon as possible to discuss increasing it immediately.  If it is equivalent to lasix, I would be leaning toward 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night.  I don't think the dose is high enough with Lili's respiration rate continuing to shoot up.

            She needs more now with a RRR of 38.  You don't want to wait until she is showing signs of distress.