HCM - Grazer Vomiting after Long Gaps Without Food.

  • binarina1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
      Firstly, hello, I'm new to the board.

      My cat was diagnosed with HCM in October, completely out of the blue, he had no visible symptoms, until he was rushed to A&E in heart failure. He has all the usual drugs, 7-8 tablets depending on the day, which I must say he's coping well with. One problem is the gap needed for the pimobendan to work. He's a grazer, and ever since he's been a kitten he has struggled to keep his food down if there's too long a gap between meals, say if he slept for hours, he'd throw his next meal up for example.

      The problem now is that every day he has to have large gaps for the pimobendan. Now, I can't make him wait 12 hours for obvious reasons, he'd never keep any food down, so the vet said just do my best, leave as long a gap as possible. Well he can just about tolerate 5-6 hours, although Friday, Saturday, and Monday he has thrown up his breakfast after this long gap. He's fine, he eats again minutes later, and he drinks again.

      But...should I be worried? Anyone else experienced this? And do you have any advice?

      Thanks.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
        Hi

        I`m a little confused by gap needed for pimobendan. My cats take it with
        the other pills straight after breakfast and then again at night. I haven't
        ever been told about a gap.. please can you explain?

        thanks:) Lyn

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
          Same here... I was never told to "gap" the pimobendan with Boo.  She takes her pills and usually proceeds to eat right after.  ??

          Laurie

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
            Boo has been taking it 2x/day for a year now... I was never told to limit food before or after.  It's interesting when things like this come up because you do wonder when they are on a cocktail of meds what truly is making the difference.  If the pimobendan is not being absorbed fully... how much is... or is this drug really not the one helping her?

            I do know Boo has done well on her med cocktail and so I do not plan to change anything, but I will inquire with her cardiologist why I was not told about this.  I double-checked her prescription and the instructions on the med itself and there is no mention of limiting food.

            Laurie