continue baby aspirin???

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
      I need some advice please. Sheba was prescribed baby aspirin (1/4 tab twice a week) and plavix by her cardiologist last Monday.
      I specifically started her on the baby aspirin first because the cardiologist warned that the Plavix could cause anorexia. My thinking was if the she cannot tolerate the plavix, she will at least have the aspirin in her system.

      The first dose of baby aspirin was on Tuesday and on Thursday this was vomit and diarrhea all over my room. I administered the second dose on Friday. There has been no further episodes of vomiting, but diarrhea continues. On Friday, her stool was firm, but on Saturday and today, it is a mixture. The stool begins soft but ends up runny.

      She has been receiving pumpkin, pet petillin (pectin/kanolin) and probiotics.

      Her next dose of baby aspirin is due Monday. Do I continue with the baby aspirin or stop it?? Is it possible for her system to become more acustom to it??

      Thank you,
      Jordan and Sheba

    • zan200
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
        Hi Jordan,

        I'd definitely call the cardiologist Monday morning and talk to him about Sheba's reaction to the aspirin - maybe he would agree to lowering the dose, which would hopefully eliminate the side effects, but still give Sheba the benefits of the aspirin therapy.

        My vet prescribes only 5mgs of aspirin 2X per week for her heart kitties - I'm assuming Sheba's 1/4 baby aspirin would be about 20mgs?

        I know with Chloe, we're always adjusting medications...

        I'll be praying for you and Sheba,
        Suzanne and Chloe
      • Cont Marie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
          Dear Jordan,
          My lili has been taking 5mg aspirin twice a week for one year and a half now. Some studies say that it is as efficient as bigger doses.
          I have noticed that it made her sleep and afterwards she seemed to be more energetic. Sometimes, I had the impression that it made her respiration rate raise. But it's difficult to assert that. She seems to tolerate the 5mg dose. I always try to give her some pâté first, so the aspirin doesn't hurt her stomach.
          I hope everything will be fine with Sheba,
          Marie.