Re: [FH] Re: Devastaded parents...

  • marianna.mayer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2013
      Aaah that magic age of 8--9. It was when my own poor boy...was in all ways beyond healthy...displayed his first 'fatal' sign of a heart issue showed his first. And at that point he was at the 'last stage', so declared the cardio vet...never a sign, never a clue. The cardio vet told me along with the other assisting vets that they had never seen a healthier cat. BUT his poor heart told another story.

      If your boy...does he have a name you'll share? Did I miss it? is it Pumpkin? Anyway, if your boy would be willing, and if he was my boy, I'd start him on slippery elm bark powder made into a syrup, b/c you say his intestinal tract has been compromised...if I have understood you rightly, then this needs to heal. There is nothing more gentle, nor more healing.
      Here is the recipe for the syrup for you to consider:

      Thoroughly mix 1 slightly rounded teaspoon of slippery elm powder with 1 cup of cold water. **Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Then turn the heat down to simmer and continue to stir for another 2 to 3 minutes while the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature and give 1/2 to 1 teaspoon to cats and small dogs (under 20 lbs). Give this dose 2-4 times a day, or about every 4 hours. Cover the mixture and store in refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week.
      **Note: I sometimes just add water and mix. It sets up quickly. The boiling is not entirely necessary.

      **You will need to give this at least 2 hrs before or after any
      medications because it could interfere with absorption of supplements and meds.

      Here are some web sites with additional info:
      http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=article&ID=1460
      http://www.holisticat.com/slipelm_arch.html
      http://www.mindspring.com/~kerspin/Med%26Tech-Vomiting%26Nausea.htm
      http://members.iinet.net.au/~amesvet/Dogs/Level2/rfpp26.htm (scroll down to
      the second section)
      http://www.metromkt.net/viable/1slipper.shtml
      http://www.go-symmetry.com/slippery-elm.htm

      Marianna

    • dawnakapumpkin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
        I just emailed you again, I'm so sorry! I meant to post again in my reply to you.....overall for everyone else and yourself as well...he is in the vet hospital overnight..liver levels now a concern (a first this entire time)..we are thinking it's something else v.s. just heart issues..

        His name is Pumpkin (red tabby Persian--beautiful boy)..our almost 8 yr old and we're devastated... He's not on any meds to hurt the liver/kidneys..kidneys were fine.....he was just jaundice and concern for liver levels today... Doc felt that it was not a lack of eating since he was on track for several weeks and we still got stuff in him the past 3 days... He's also still amazed that Pumpkin is not having congestive issue since he's not been medicated for that since early Dec. Just devastating but we should find out more soon when he calls and of course tom. We're not ready to give up...he is tiny for his frame and lost a couple more lbs...he should be 12-15 lbs when he is now 7.58....

        Just lost! Marianna, did you lost your healthy boy then (do you mind?)..were there multiple issues as well? Perhaps one thing exposed the other? Our vet said the liver issues today have nothing to do w/the heart condition but that of course still does not mean there is not heart issues...as you said they mask it well and that magic age tends to display it.

        We're just confused but any advice is welcome and I sincerely appreciate what you've given so far! BTW, if our vet still feels that there are issues w/the tummy/intestines, I will use your notes about that...anything natural is great as well! I just hope Pumpkin pulls through this..we again are not ready to lose him. We left for a Thanksgiving trip this yr and came home to a very sick cat...orig. infection, fever, etc..then congestive heart issues.... Just a lot esp. when he's such a big part of our family!

        Thanks again!!

        Dawnaka