Re: Devastaded parents...

  • dawnakapumpkin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2013
      Thanks Lyn! first, re the breathing, we've gotten good at that--monitoring (thankfully)...Pumpkin had just been home from the hospital a week and a half after finding him barely breathing in our bathroom in the mid-night and rushed him to the ER...in congestive HF....so when we got home we set up an appt as soon as we could and we took him to the cardio vet...it was pretty far away from our home since there are so few in the area...we did not want to wait for her to travel due to his lack of appetite still...anyway, after leaving and the new concerns of the kidneys, she wanted him to stay there and get his levels back up (we choose the option to bring him home and monitor here..she was worried about the liquids via his neck again, causing sudden congestive HF...with the expense and stress on him being away again, we brought him home and learned quickly how to watch the breathing (counting) and were instructed to give him a 1/4 tab of lasix 2X/day if the breathing went over 30...otherwise, off all meds except potasium at that time..... good thing is he's doing well so far for over a month or so with no breathing issues and no meds...but it's nice to know about the other options...to explore w/our vet, etc.. I def. know what to look for if his breathing becomes off again as I noticed it right away before...everyone then told us to give him time (he had an infection/fever)..but it got worse and then I found him...I won't make that mistake again..waiting that is...just again we are in new territory here..

      My husband & I are also wondering if another heart med (maybe what you are referring to also in this post reply) may give him more energy..feel better so perhaps he'll want to eat more on his own again... He was doing so well for a bit (compared to how he orig. was when this all happened and we found out about the dx of the heart condition) so it has worried us the past couple days about lack in eating.. (on his own again...he will lick the food I give him thankfully and we are on it every couple hrs via the day).

      In your experience, do cats rebound to almost normal or does it just vary? We keep hearing "give him time..he's been through so much" but it's heart breaking....I just don't want him to be miserable, etc..he's a huge part of our family!

      Anyway, I'll write this down and discuss w/our vet tomorrow..he works w/this but he's not the cardio vet and we can't go to her every time...too far and she works out of a 24/7 ER clinic... I also know how stressed he gets when going to get checked and checked, etc..

      Thanks again..any help/advice is appreciated!!

      Dawnaka
    • marianna.mayer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 20, 2013
        Great as always. Lyn is spot on.

        I do think that this disease is erratic. It keeps the caretaker on his/her toes, b/c the condition can change on a dime. And we don't have a direct line with the patient, so we have little warning until our stoic kitty finally shows discomfort. Cats will mask their symptoms even better than dogs...due to how they are made. Even a diligent caretaker can miss an early sign of trouble quite easily.

        Also reading through your posts, I am left wondering if part of your kitty's discomfort is *perhaps due to gastric problems. We...most of us...see this when dealing with multiple health issues plus meds and food. You might consider pepcid AC ...a 1/4 of a tablet [cut from a 10 mg dose] twice daily with a little food...2--3 hrs away from other meds. It might help. Worth a try...3--4 days... on this will do no harm, and might help. If you decide to try this, keep in mind that even crushed this tiny tiny amount is very bitter tasting. So it will need to be masked with something tasty and finger fed or mixed with some good tasting liquefied substance and syringe fed.
        HTH

        Marianna

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2013
          Thanks so much here as well! PS, sorry if I emailed you solely before...again, I'm getting use to this forum and format.. And I apologize again for saying 2 wks v.s. 2 days of not eating..but good thing is he is eating the baby food (w/out any additives) off our finger just well... today he ate more than the past 2 days but of course w/our encouragement...

          The vet is mystified about his condition..he def. appreciates the dx and will work w/the heart doc..but he's confused (as we are) about how this all started..maybe the infection just displayed the heart condition that it was all along (but as you said cats are great at masking things...this boy for sure..so full of life..we have always called him our dog in disguise because he knocks over trash cans if upset or jealous, etc.. and he's always picking on his younger brother kitty....or did of course until now).. but then went into congestive heart failure w/the stress of the infection or treatment from it, etc.... The blessing again is no problems w/breathing since..so hoping and we take his rate constantly.. I would have never known to do this until going through this and only wished I had know previously to the ER visit...

          The vet did say that he saw ulcerations in his small intest. (his theory about the orig. infection was he ingested something..it partially blocked intestines and then passed..but ulcerations perhaps..so this could still be bothering him). WBC is finally fine but even early on it was so high even w/antibiotics.... I'll ask him tom. about what you suggested as well...worth a try for sure! BTW, he's the cat that eats everything too...chews on plastic wrappers, etc...so with the orig. dx of an infection..obstruction we def. saw that it was possible and prob. happened when we were gone on vacation (I feel guilty about leaving...but I guess we could say this about a lot of things in life...he's never had an issue when we left at anytime in his life until now..)...but we never expected the heart stuff...just a lot to absorb...

          I guess we need to get use to the ups and downs but it is scary.. Anyway, I could go on but thank you so much...we've needed to vent and seek other opin. here/there and we again thank you all! We'll keep you posted...

          PS, he'll be 8 on 2/13..hoping it's a good one for him!

          Thanks again!

          Dawnaka

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, mmayer11@... wrote:

          > Great as always. Lyn is spot on.
          >
          > I do think that this disease is erratic. It keeps the caretaker on his/her toes, b/c the condition can change on a dime. And we don't have a direct line with the patient, so we have little warning until our stoic kitty finally shows discomfort. Cats will mask their symptoms even better than dogs...due to how they are made. Even a diligent caretaker can miss an early sign of trouble quite easily.
          >
          > Also reading through your posts, I am left wondering if part of your kitty's discomfort is *perhaps due to gastric problems. We...most of us...see this when dealing with multiple health issues plus meds and food. You might consider pepcid AC ...a 1/4 of a tablet [cut from a 10 mg dose] twice daily with a little food...2--3 hrs away from other meds. It might help. Worth a try...3--4 days... on this will do no harm, and might help. If you decide to try this, keep in mind that even crushed this tiny tiny amount is very bitter tasting. So it will need to be masked with something tasty and finger fed or mixed with some good tasting liquefied substance and syringe fed.
          > HTH
          >

          > Marianna

        • marianna.mayer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2013
            Aaah that magic age of 8--9. It was when my own poor boy...was in all ways beyond healthy...displayed his first 'fatal' sign of a heart issue showed his first. And at that point he was at the 'last stage', so declared the cardio vet...never a sign, never a clue. The cardio vet told me along with the other assisting vets that they had never seen a healthier cat. BUT his poor heart told another story.

            If your boy...does he have a name you'll share? Did I miss it? is it Pumpkin? Anyway, if your boy would be willing, and if he was my boy, I'd start him on slippery elm bark powder made into a syrup, b/c you say his intestinal tract has been compromised...if I have understood you rightly, then this needs to heal. There is nothing more gentle, nor more healing.
            Here is the recipe for the syrup for you to consider:

            Thoroughly mix 1 slightly rounded teaspoon of slippery elm powder with 1 cup of cold water. **Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Then turn the heat down to simmer and continue to stir for another 2 to 3 minutes while the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature and give 1/2 to 1 teaspoon to cats and small dogs (under 20 lbs). Give this dose 2-4 times a day, or about every 4 hours. Cover the mixture and store in refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week.
            **Note: I sometimes just add water and mix. It sets up quickly. The boiling is not entirely necessary.

            **You will need to give this at least 2 hrs before or after any
            medications because it could interfere with absorption of supplements and meds.

            Here are some web sites with additional info:
            http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=article&ID=1460
            http://www.holisticat.com/slipelm_arch.html
            http://www.mindspring.com/~kerspin/Med%26Tech-Vomiting%26Nausea.htm
            http://members.iinet.net.au/~amesvet/Dogs/Level2/rfpp26.htm (scroll down to
            the second section)
            http://www.metromkt.net/viable/1slipper.shtml
            http://www.go-symmetry.com/slippery-elm.htm

            Marianna

          • dawnakapumpkin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
              I just emailed you again, I'm so sorry! I meant to post again in my reply to you.....overall for everyone else and yourself as well...he is in the vet hospital overnight..liver levels now a concern (a first this entire time)..we are thinking it's something else v.s. just heart issues..

              His name is Pumpkin (red tabby Persian--beautiful boy)..our almost 8 yr old and we're devastated... He's not on any meds to hurt the liver/kidneys..kidneys were fine.....he was just jaundice and concern for liver levels today... Doc felt that it was not a lack of eating since he was on track for several weeks and we still got stuff in him the past 3 days... He's also still amazed that Pumpkin is not having congestive issue since he's not been medicated for that since early Dec. Just devastating but we should find out more soon when he calls and of course tom. We're not ready to give up...he is tiny for his frame and lost a couple more lbs...he should be 12-15 lbs when he is now 7.58....

              Just lost! Marianna, did you lost your healthy boy then (do you mind?)..were there multiple issues as well? Perhaps one thing exposed the other? Our vet said the liver issues today have nothing to do w/the heart condition but that of course still does not mean there is not heart issues...as you said they mask it well and that magic age tends to display it.

              We're just confused but any advice is welcome and I sincerely appreciate what you've given so far! BTW, if our vet still feels that there are issues w/the tummy/intestines, I will use your notes about that...anything natural is great as well! I just hope Pumpkin pulls through this..we again are not ready to lose him. We left for a Thanksgiving trip this yr and came home to a very sick cat...orig. infection, fever, etc..then congestive heart issues.... Just a lot esp. when he's such a big part of our family!