Re: A few medicine questions

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
      Hi

      It takes a while to stabilise a cat in heart failure and the medications
      she is on is exactly the same as my Milli and Trixi, except Trix has atenolol
      as well.

      Vetmedin should be edible, my cats love it, it can come in beef flavour if
      yours already don't. And yes, vetmedin is not indicated in HCM, but my cat
      has been on it and it saved her life, even when she had a heart attack.

      As for the potassium, I used kaminox, a beef flavour liquid that only
      requires a syringe and squirt into mouth. Mine used to sit there and wait for it
      to be squirted and the non heart cats liked a little squirt too. I've had
      no bad reactions to spiro in 4 cats who take it either.

      Lsix lasts 8 hours so three times a day is ok. Trixi needed it every 4
      hours at her worst to clear her lungs. It is a matter of finding the right drug
      regime. Hang in there, Cats do and have recovered from heart failure.
      Trixi was given 3 months to live as a kitten and that was 6 years ago!

      Lyn:)

    • hoofbeats95
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
        Thanks! I found the website for the pharmacy. I'll give my vet a call on Monday. Today as I rubbed the paste on her paw she fought me so much I ended up with half of it on my t-shirt! I feel like her dose is pretty big, so I'm just trying to get something in her at this point.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zan200" wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > My vet used the Pet Health Pharmacy from Youngstown, Arizona. Your vet can order the compounded potassium for you and it will be delivered to your home within a few days. If you need the phone number or any other info, just let me know.
        >
        > Don't give up hope with Sophie - Chloe's condition was considered dire in November, and despite some setbacks...we're still here and hanging on!
        >
        > Good Luck,
        > Suzanne and Chloe
        >

        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "hoofbeats95" wrote:
        > >
        > > My Sophie girl went into heart failure at the end of Aug. We've not been able to stabilize her. I just took her to the vet this week with a respiration of 32-36 at rest. The vet said with the amount of fluid she had most cats would have been open mouth breathing. I left her overnight cause we had an obligation that night and the next morning that wouldn't allow me to keep an eye on her. The vet actually drew out some fluid and she was oxygen that night. Now she's at 20-24 at rest. At the past checkups we've increased her lasix. We did that once again and added three meds. So now she is getting
        > >
        > > Plavix (generic) once a day
        > > Sprionolactone once a day
        > > Benazepril once a day
        > > Vetmedin twice a day
        > > Lasix (20 mg) twice a day
        > > Tumil-K (potassium) twice a day
        > >
        > > I can't seem to divide these into any less than 3 gel caps AM and PM. The vetmedin is a huge pill! It takes 2 #3 gelcaps. I ordered some #2 caps to see if that will help, but I doubt it. Is #2 even small enough still for a cat to swallow?
        > >
        > > My second question is I just saw the vetmedin says not to use in cases of HCM. So that confuses me? Anyone know anything regarding that? I may give my vet a call Monday.
        > >
        > > Also, the potassium supplement sucks!!! Big time. It's a gel. It stinks. The vet said swipe it in her mouth. I tried twice. Doesn't work so well. I put it on her paw(s), but it's such a big amount at 1/2 tsp each dose! She does lick it off eventually. But man she smells so bad! I tried to put it in her food. That was a no go. Is anyone giving potassium in a better form? And if so what is it? I need to figure out a better alternative I think!
        > >
        > > My vet warned me some cats have a bad reaction to sprionolactone and if she does will we have to stop it. Anyone have any experience with that medicine?
        > >
        > > Her prognosis is not very good. The last thing we can try is lasix 3 times a day. And we will try that if necessary, but I'm a realist. I can tell she won't have much time left. The vet said we reached the wall in terms of medicine. :(

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
          In the interim, you could try putting a small amount on her nose... they lick it right off (usually).  :-)

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
            Lol It'd take me so long to do that. 1/2 tsp is just so much!

            I have more questions:

            Do you heart kitties just sleep a lot? Sophie is just so lazy. Just laying around. Doesn't really respond that much. I called her name several times to get her to lift her head and look at me in the other room. I knew she was awake and not sleeping. I count her breathing every day usually in the evening when she is laying on the couch. The past three days I've got 20-25. Just now I got 26. I wonder if we are slowly creeping up? That stresses me out :( She clearly hid this so well prior to this last trip to the cardiologist that I'm not sure what to watch for anymore.