Re: [FH] Re: Flavored gel caps

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 18, 2013
      The capsule size depends on the cat. We can give Misty size 0, and fit her natto, methimazole and amlodipine in it. #2's are two sizes smaller than the 0. We used to always give #3's, then couldn't fit what we needed into them, so went to #1's then the 0's. We started using the 0's because she gets to many things, I didn't want to have to give her four different pills separately.

      You can buy potassium in tablet form. What are you giving? Is it potassium gluconate? Just make sure you don't give too much, because you can overdose potassium and that is really bad for the heart.

      Carol

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 18, 2013
        On gelcap size, I started with 4's, then as more meds, caps got larger. On
        potassium, it is potassium gluconate 550 mg, forgot meq pot. but moe's heart
        vet worked out dosage of 1/4 tab once a day. His blood levels are staying
        mid range.

        Taca

        Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
          I always get gel caps stuck in my throat. Something about them just seems to make them stick. Does this ever happen with cats? I'm to the point I'm going to have to do something to get her meds into her.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.

          From: Carol carolroar@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
            My vet told me to coat the capsule in butter or yogurt. we use butter. Just a thin coating makes it slick. It has worked so far. As long as it get it over the hump of her tongue, so to speak, she swallows it. I'm not going to say it's pleasant for her, but she handles it well enough. I tried other things like pill pockets and mixing in food. That absolutely doesn't work for her. So this is the less stress for both of us. We do it right before breakfast and dinner. So she gets wet food immediately following the last pill. And she knows it! So that helps me stop worrying if it's caught in her throat. :)

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lynda Doty wrote:

            > I always get gel caps stuck in my throat. Something about them just seems to make them stick. Does this ever happen with cats? I'm to the point I'm going to have to do something to get her meds into her.

            > Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.

          • Lynda Doty
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
              Which plunger did you get? I have a super long one which I just can't use. And I just bought a Buster one, which I like. I will keep working with her, but right now she has been hiding from me for the last 4 hours. I tried putting buprenex in her cheek this morning and she jerked her head and it went down her throat, neither of us was expecting it.

              Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
                I always put the gelcap inside a little "meatball" of cold canned food. Put that on my finger, and Misty just opens her mouth and I pop it in and she eats it. Hardly ever does she "chew" on it to find the capsule. She just thinks it's food and swallows it right away.

                Carol