Chloe - Last Night's Episode - Eureka Moment

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hi All...

      I know I've been posting regularly these past few weeks regarding Chloe's not eating...Trying every food combo imaginable with no success, giving my first IV fluids, etc.

      Emergency vet visit Tues. for more fluids and a Cerenia injection didn't solve anything as Chloe still looked absolutely miserable...

      Fast forward to yesterday - Chloe nibbled a little, but looked extremely unhappy and not into her usual routine or behavior patterns (it's just been a steady stream of little odd behaviors that I chalked up to Chloe being upset by all the vet visits). Despite Chloe's still normal respiration rates - 16-24 – I knew something was definitely not right.

      The situation came to a head last night when I found Chloe sitting in the middle of the hallway, again looking miserable - When I picked her up for a cuddle...SHE COUGHED...Eureka...It's not an upset stomach, it's FLUID!

      9:45 PM I immediately gave Chloe an emergency extra 1/2 dose of lasix; 10:30 PM I gave her her nightly enalapril, spiro, and her usual 1/2 lasix - 1 full lasix total.

      Within 1/2 hour Chloe looked and acted much better - she wanted to eat, and actually ate a couple of little "snacks". Chloe slept much better, and ate 2 little Fancy Feast "snacks" this morning - she hasn't done this in weeks.

      I called the vet this morning after giving Chloe 1/2 lasix with her morning meds. Vet said I did exactly the right thing (thank goodness). Chloe is now back on ½ tab of lasix AM/PM every day, more if I see anything "unusual".

      I have been feeling like the vet clinic thinks I'm "nuts" because I keep bringing Chloe in to be checked despite her not showing any specific symptoms other than my, "something is not right" statements – the vet again told me not to doubt myself as I seem to really be "in tune" to Chloe, and am picking up very subtle signs of her not feeling well.

      Whew! Praying for a quiet event-free weekend...

      Suzanne and Chloe
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
        We're so proud of you! You did exactly the right thing. If you can keep a level head, you remember all the things you heard from the vet and all the things you learned on this list. This is the value of this list -- among us, we've been through absolutely everything. I hope everybody reads all the posts, even if they don't need certain types of information at the time it was posted. HCM can turn on a dime, and you never know when you'll need to act quickly. You know your cat better than anybody else, and we can tell when something isn't right -- always act on that instinct! We're all here to help!!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
          That's really interesting; good for you!

          I'm curious that Chloe's breathing rate was in normal range but the issue still seemed to be fluid. I'll need to be on the ball for the same issue with my Lumi and look forward to chatting with the cardiologist about what you just did: giving extra Lasix, temporarily, to relieve minor distress from fluids.

          Learning a lot! Thanks!
        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
            Hi

            I give extra half lasix at anytime one of my heart cats has increased
            breathing, wheezing or strange breathing. It doesn't harm and I keep it in
            always. Then I contact the vet at the first opportunity.