vomiting/ diarrhea

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2013
      I came home from work today to find three spots of vomiting on the floor and evidence of diarrhea. I believe this is from Sheba (not my other kitty). It appears she threw up her dry kibble.

      She appears in normal behavior. Her breathing also seems fine. The only change is I started her on 1/4 tab of baby aspirin on Tuesday. I have not yet started the Plavix.

      She does have a history of acid reflux and will often vomit in the wee hours of the morning. So just to be safe I did adminster a 1/4 tab of Pepcid. She was interested in food and wanted dinner.

      Historically I should also mention . . . Sheba HAS had episodes of vomiting/diarrhea which prompted ER visits only to have all tests be unremarkable. This has happened TWICE!!! My girl just loves to keep her Momma on her toes.

      Is it possible this is a result of the baby aspirin? Has anyone experienced this??

    • marianna.mayer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2013
        Dear Jordan...
        I most respectfully suggest that you stop dry kibble immediately. I did not know that this is your food of choice. I urge you to switch your precious girl and her kitty mate/mates to wet food. Wellness 99.9% all turkey or chicken or some of this company's other blends of all protein "no grain" for cats would be a good start, although there are even better wet foods available for your precious girl. In an effort of full disclosure this is coming from a member who home prepares her own recipe for all her animals.

        Marianna

      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2013
          UPDATE: I have a spiral staircase in my condo that leads up to a loft. Sheba does not go up there very often due to poor eye sight (remember, recent corneal grafts surgery in BOTH eyes).

          Yet I just walked back into the house from returning the carpet cleaner to the garage and she my other persian were both up there together. So she must be feeling pretty good!!

          What gives?? Is this simply co-incindental?? Am I reading too much into this??

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2013
            Marianna,

            Sheba does eat Wellness can food!! She enjoys both wet and dry food. However, I did pick up the dry when I got home and saw the vomit on the floor.

            I most respectfully suggest that you stop dry kibble immediately. I did not know that this is your food of choice. I urge you to switch your precious girl and her kitty mate/mates to wet food. Wellness 99.9% all turkey or chicken or some of this company's other blends of all protein "no grain" for cats would be a good start, although there are even better wet foods available for your precious girl. In an effort of full disclosure this is coming from a member who home prepares her own recipe for all her animals.

            Marianna

          • Laurie Stead
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 17, 2013
              I think being aware of options is always good feedback.  That being said, to tell someone to stop feeding their cat what they are used to being fed "immediately" is not good advice.  If she decides to change any food, it should be done gradually.  Secondly, I feed my cats dry food without any issues.  There are arguments on both sides, and it comes down to what is best for each individual cat and home.   I am fortunate enough to have one of the top cardiologists for my precious girl Boo, who has heart disease, and she is 100% on board with the food Boo eats.

              Laurie

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 17, 2013
                Where do you live...? You might try some that are locally available to you...i.e. I would avoid commercial cat food at this point, since most ingredients are sourced from China, even if the manufacturer assembles the food in the US. As such the US Federal regulations do not require that any company put this fact on their labels, hence cans [or bags for that matter] that appear to be produce in the US are not necessarily foods that have ingredients from the US.

                Marianna

                What other wet foods can you recommend??

              • elfinmyst
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 18, 2013
                  Hi

                  Trixi vomited after the aspirin and it got worse to be projectile and
                  horrible. We had to stop the aspirin for her, it doesn't suit all cats. However,
                  it could be a coincidence. I would wait to see if it settles and then if
                  it starts again after the second dose you'll know