Chloe - Vet Visit Update

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
      Hi Everyone...

      Well, Chloe and I are still hanging in there...The vet did a thorough checkup - heart sounded OK, mouth was checked for any tooth/gum problems - all OK. Chloe was still dehydrated despite my administering the prescribed 50ml's of IV fluids yesterday, so she was given another 100ml's.

      The vet thinks Chloe might be having a flare-up of her pancreatitis, so she gave her an injection of Cerenia - it's a stronger dosage than the pill form and bypasses the stomach. I was then given two Cerenia syringes and taught how to inject her...If the Cerenia seems to get her eating I'll give her another injection tomorrow along with checking to see if she needs more fluids...YIKES...I feel like I'm channeling James Herriot :).

      I mentioned possibly putting Chloe back on a daily maintenance dose of Pepcid - vet said this was a good idea...I also asked about using Nutri-Cal as a supplement - has anyone tried this? It's molasses-flavored like Laxatone - Chloe loves Laxatone, so I thought I'd get some and give it a try - vet says OK...

      Vet is hoping the heart meds are not causing the stomach upset, as its absolutely imperative Chloe stays on her present regimen - it's definitely keeping her alive... If she doesn't start eating, the vet says she'll have to try something else for the stomach issues... She really doesn't want to rock the boat, but if she has to she has to.

      Chloe did eat a little bit once we got home from the vet's, but nothing else until this evening. I tried her on a new Fancy Feast flavor - Salmon pate - Chloe was very interested and ate a couple of teaspoons. However, I tried giving her the exact same Fancy Feast flavor about an hour later, and Chloe gave me the "that food is radioactive look" and wouldn't touch it...

      Respiration rate is up a little tonight, 24-28, but still in the OK range. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the Pepcid kicks in...

      Any advice or suggestions regarding foods to try etc. would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks so much to everyone - your prayers are so greatly appreciated!

      Suzanne and Chloe
    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2013
        Hi Suzanne,

        I have used the Nutri-cal supplement to put weight back on Sheba. It did work but took a couple months!! I have found much better results with Royal Canin Recovery diet. It is a vet diet requiring a prescription, but put the weight back on her much faster.

        It also has a potent smell, which when warmed in the microwave, stimulates eating. Sheebs LOVES it!! It is recommended for underweight dogs and cats, and I offered that two her post surgically after her eye surgery.
        She lost up to a pound from the dread "Cone of Shame" she had to wear for 3 weeks.

        But, when I pick her up now she feels like a little lead balloon . . . all 7 lbs of her. LOL :)

        Good luck,

        Jordan and Sheba

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2013
          Hi

          I have used Royal Canin recovery diet too, it absolutely stinks! But cats
          love it. It's so soft and you can scoop it into their mouths easily too and
          mixed with water it can be syringed.