Re: [FH] Pepcid having a negative affect on cats with arrhythmia ?Is it true?Pancreatitis

  • mmayer11@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
      Susan,
      I really don't think the sucrafalte [Carafate] is helping...you should have seen an improvement quite rapidly if it was expected to relieve the symptoms you are observing. How are you administering it? The efficacy of this drug has much to do with just exactly how it is given.

      You know I've always had confidence in buprenex. If you saw relief from his symptoms after just one dose, I'd say go back to dosing him for about 3--4 days to see if it was indeed a coincidence that he seemed to improve or not.

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
        Dear Jean,
        Welcome to the group.
        The drug sucrafate [Carafate] is Rx for ulcers mainly in humans, dogs, cats, and even some avian species. If you want a thorough explanation, I suggest you do some research on your own. You can 'google' the word for an accurate description. Rather than rely on layman to explain.

        Marianna

      • mmayer11@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
          I did think he was regular, so thank you for verifying that. You are a very excellent observer...so many loving caretakers are *not*, though they wish to be.
          I believe what you are seeing indicates "something" is up with Oreo. We just don't know what. Continue giving him that small dose of buprenex. Susan, it cannot hurt him. Better to err on the side of keeping any possible pain at a distance.
          I do not have other suggestions. You need to see what else develops. I do believe it is pain related, and that some how or other the discomfort is due to his digestion and/or his GI tract. Something is going on without a doubt. It is just too soon [perhaps?] for it to manifest so that a qualified diagnostic vet [that in itself is as hard to find as hens' teeth] can know what exactly. I think your sharp eyes are giving you clues to verify that. But it's not enough to identify what! Keep giving him the buprenex, pls While whatever may or may not be developing comes clear. Meanwhile, there is no reason under the sun that Oreo should suffer any pain that can possibly be avoided. I know you agree..

          Marianna