Chloe Update - Not Eating/To Vet Tomorrow

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
      Hi All...

      Chloe's been having some "ups and downs" so I thought I'd post a long overdue update.

      Chloe's last vet visit was 1/7 for a checkup - bloodwork was very good - so no change in meds. Vet still has Chloe on the enalapril/spiro/lasix combo AM and PM, with the lasix being skipped every other AM. She's on 1/4 tab cypro for her appetite - with not much success.

      Chloe's been doing a lot of lip licking/burping/tooth grinding - vet says this is nausea, so I was given Cerenia to administer as needed. Chloe was also given 50ml's of fluids because she was slightly dehydrated. Heart sounds/respiration all OK.

      Fast forward to this weekend. Chloe experienced more lip licking/burping etc., Sunday, so I gave her a dose of Cerenia - she looked miserable and about 15 minutes later threw up...Ugh! Not much eating since then despite a dose of cypro Sunday night...Early this morning I did one of my 2-3X daily hydration tests (pulled up a small section of fur on Chloe's upper back to see how quickly the skin snaped back) - hydration seemed poor - so I performed my first ever home IV...

      Set up went OK - thankfully I had my mother available to turn the IV mechanism on and off...I managed to get the needle in correctly, but Chloe was understandably not happy and decided to try and "leave" right in the middle of the procedure - YIKES! I had to let go of Chloe's fur with my left hand to hold her in place, all while keeping the needle positioned with my right hand - not easy! After the procedure was complete, I took a few deep breaths :), and then called the vet office to let them know what was going on...Vet has surgery all day tomorrow, but she will see Chloe before office hours - 8:00AM...

      Chloe's respiration rate still seems good - running about 16-24, but she looks "off" - I can't get her interested in eating - no tuna "juice, salmon "juice" - nothing entices her to eat more than a couple of little nibbles...I did notice yesterday that along with the tooth grinding, Chloe did paw at her mouth - could she be having a dental issue (Please NOOOOOOO!)?

      Any advice regarding the not eating issue or suggestions of any kind would be greatly appreciated...

      Thanks so much,
      Suzanne and Chloe
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
        maybe you should go out and pick up some baby food...get chicken flavor with nothing added and try that with Chloe...it might get some nourishment into her...good luck...Judi and Angel Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
          Hi Judi,
          Thanks so much for your care and concern - I've tried chicken, beef, and turkey baby food - it's all a "no go" as far as Chloe is concerned. I've also tried little bits of the plain baked chicken breast I cooked for dinner. I thought it was pretty yummy, actually, but Chloe looked at it like it was radioactive...

          Chloe did take a couple of licks of her usual flavors of Fancy Feast, but other than that - nothing. I'm out of ideas and getting very concerned, so I'm hoping the vet has a solution.
          Again, many thanks,
          Suzanne and Chloe

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Judi Levens wrote:

          > maybe you should go out and pick up some baby food...get chicken flavor with nothing added and try that with Chloe...it might get some nourishment into her...good luck...Judi and Angel Max

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
            She must eat or you'll have even bigger problems than you have now. Put some fancyfeast on your finger and stick it in her mouth, do it slowly and carefully every half hour or so. You can also dilute it and syringe it carefully into the side of her mouth. You vet can sell you a/d, which is easy to stick in the mouth and contains all the nutrients she needs -- you can also try NutriPet, which also can sustain life. Join the feline assistedfeeding group, they will have lots more ideas. You must get food into her immediately. Don't just sit and wait -- this is an emergency.

          • mmayer11@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
              Suzanne...
              I agree with the other member who posted earlier, you have no room to wait for Chloe's appetite to improve. While you and your vet continue to try to figure out what's causing this, don't wait...immediately join the yahoo group:
              Feline-Assisted-Feeding@yahoogroups.com
              There are other Rx drugs for nausea. It's up to you and your vet to figure out which one works for Chloe. Don't delay, pls. It can be gastric, the lip licking indicates gastritis for sure. Pleas continue to explore your Rx options, but join the assisted feeding group tonight

              Marianna

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
                Ham baby food is the winner around here for cats who stop eating. But no one seems to like beef or turkey.

                Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty neighbors too!