8 Very Happy Years Together

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
      Hi everybody. Last evening was the 8th anniversary of the day that Tigger
      Too came into my life. My late boyfriend and I bought Tigger and one of his
      sisters from a breeder who lives about 90 minutes away. We were SO excited
      about receiving our new kittens, that we actually sat in the lobby waiting
      for them to arrive. We eagerly checked every car that drove up until
      finally Bruce pulled into the drive.

      Tigger and Macy were so beautiful and cute and adorable, we were so thrilled
      with them. Two beautiful red and white Scottish Folds, Tigger had folded
      ears and Macy had straight ears. They were 16 weeks old.

      We took them to the vet, and sadly Tigger had a 3-4 murmur. Macy was okay.
      We didn't have a cardiologist in Toronto at that time, so my vet made an
      appointment with a cardiologist who came up to Toronto once a month to see
      special cases. We saw him and learned that Tigger had HCM. He put him on
      atenolol immediately. We tried all the forms of atenolol, and only the
      beef-flavored liquid worked for him, I just put it in his canned food every
      morning and night. He is on an all-canned diet for maximum health benefits.

      We were able to get him safely neutered a short time later, because my vet
      knew his heart's status. They took every precaution and monitored
      everything, and he said he never worked so fast!

      Tigger has been just fine, you can't even tell that he's sick. We have been
      VERY blessed. He turned 8 last October, and I pray that we have another 20
      years together. I love him SO much.

      We had only 1 scare in all these years. The last time I took him out for
      shots, maybe 5 years ago. He totally freaked out about going out, and his
      little heart actually stopped beating from the stress at the vet's.
      Fortunately it only stopped for about 15 seconds. He revived before they
      even had a chance to start working on him. But he did have a near-death
      experience from the stress!! I promised him I'd never take him out again
      unless it was a true emergency. I live a very quiet life, and I keep his
      life as quiet and stress-free as possible.

      We do play everyday tho, a couple sessions of about 10-15 minutes. He has a
      bunny fur mousie on a fishing pole that he just loves. And sometimes he will
      run after these little plastic springs and bracelets I throw for him, but he
      never brings them back. My vet says that kitties are "here for a good time,
      not a long time, so have a good time, the sun don't shine everyday." A
      little exercise is good for them. They do not know that they're sick, and
      want to have a normal life.

      I wanted to share this story with you, so you know that HCM is not an
      automatic death sentence. Fortunately they have the wonderful medicines
      that work so well. But we have to be prepared, because HCM can turn on a
      dime.

      Just love your kitties as much as you can everyday ---

      take care -- Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too
    • Maria Lebruto
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
        Dear Michelle,

        Happy Anniversary !!

        Thank you so much for sharing yours and Tiggers wonderful story with us. It is truly a source of hope and inspiration for us as we are new here and I am so worried about my boy. Thanks for the great philosophical insights and thoughts on what's important in life, and your recipe for keeping Tigger healthy and happy. Your kitties are very lucky to have you!

        We wish you 20 and many more happy years together!

        Maria Tedi and Timmy

      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
          Hi Michelle; thanks so much for sharing Tigger Too's story with us...it's a beautiful one, and I am so happy for you that you've had each other so long and so happily. Hopes for many more years of good health...Judi and Angels Max and Cleo, and our boy Tucker

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
            Hi

            Please give Tigger big hugs from me and the furkids. It's a truly inspiring
            story, Tigger is doing great. I also have cats diagnosed as kittens and
            mine are doing well but have a few years to catch up with Tigger.

            :) Lyn

          • zan200
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
              Happy Anniversary to you and Tigger Too, Michelle...

              Your wonderful story was truly an inspiration, and I take the same philosophy with my Chloe - enjoy each day you have together!

              Sending out purrs and prayers for Tigger Too's continued good health,
              Suzanne and Chloe =^..^=