Hairball Remedy and Nutrient Blockage

  • mary beth fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hello !

      Just want to be sure I cannot use this particular hairball remedy on the tip of the syringe plunger without interfering with the nutrients Lahri needs to get. (Using it to preserve easy GLIDE in tube.) The one I'm using is SENTRY HC PETROMALT. It's ingredients are: Corn Syrup, Barley Malt Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Water, Hydroxylated Lecthin, Fish Oil, Guar Gum, Citric Acic , Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate.

      Also still wondering: Is there any reason NOT to use OLIVE OIL . . . vegetable, canola. . . ??

      Thanks.
      mb and lahri

    • Sarah Wadey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2013
        Hi Mary Beth,

        Just realised I didn't reply to the group with my message that may have caused you some concern about using hairball remedy:

        >clever! I like it!
        >just remember that hairball remedy blocks the absorption of nutrients, so be sure to wipe off as much as possible once you've lubed your tube!!

        The only reason I said this was that a few years ago I used Katalax to help Ras with his constipation, before moving to pumpkin. At the time I had read up a little that if used too regularly it would stop nutrients being absorbed. Vet at the time said it would be fine a few times a week, but not daily. It coats the gut which is why it stops some nutrient absorption. However we were talking about 3/4 of an inch of it, not a smear. I would think you'd be absolutely fine with using hairball remedy so long as you don't leave big lumps in the syringe, which you clearly don't intend. I don't think it would bind that well with the food anyway, it would probably stay stuck to the plastic.
        (I also had concerns about high Vitamin A content of katalax as my boy also has crf)

        I'm guessing that animal based oils would be more preferable than vegetable, but where petroleum bases sit I have no idea.

        Best
        Sarah