Lahri: Blood Pressure Test?????

  • mary beth fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hi, Everybody !

      Just need to confirm the validity of what (Mild HCM and Hyperthyroid) Lahri's vet says about his recent BP Test.

      When it was over, the tech came out and told me the values had started at 150 but risen to 200 as the test went (their machine only measures the systolic BP). When I discussed the results with the vet, he said the obvious: Lahri was very stressed and, of course, the BP went to 200. He said if I wanted a good idea of Lahri's BP, to just take an average, i.e. 175. He did not think that score merited medication.

      I reminded him the echocardiogram sonographer had expressed the need for a BP test, writing: "This is likely a toxic cardiomyopathy. The ventricular septum and free wall values are not necessarily reflective of the pathology in this patient given the regional hypertrophy.Areas of echogenic changes in the myocardium were noted. This is suggestive of remodeling. Give that the T4 is normal in this patient [2.8] assessment for sylstemic hypertension would be warranted." (my bolding) The vet still seemed unconcerned about the BP.

      It would be very helpful to know if any of you have experiences with such numbers and how your vets have responded.

      Thanks very much.

      mb and Lahri

    • elise eisfelder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
        Hi. This topic is of particular interest to me. My cat has a heart murmur that my vet doesn't feel is of any significance. He has had it for 10 years. I asked for a BP check and it was between 185-225. He was put on amlodipine. At the next check it was okay but the check after that back up to 200-220. His too increased with each reading. His med was upped to 1/2 and the next reading was 185 average. My cat has pancreatitis and is very timid and shy. He hides from me even since starting medication for his illness. I believe his high BP is white coat syndrome but my vet feels otherwise. I haven't been back for another check in 6 weeks because  I don't want to add medication if I am right. I don't know how to get an accurate reading in a cat that is either ill and/or shy. I question if a reading at home if done by anyone but me would be accurate given his being so timid. I'd love to hear what others think about this. My cat's fundic was normal each time.

        Elise

      • Wendy Solem
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
          Hi Mary,
          I agree, that's one of the things that I love about my D. in NY, she always has me with my Jackson when anything that stressful is done,
          There were some rare occssions with my (angel) Joey, where I had to stay out, mainly x-rays etc, but anything else  - I always there.  Sometimes the technicians have to hold my Jackson, but I'm always allowed in the room as a reassurance to my boy!
          I think it's important too,
          Wendy

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
            Elise-

            It is possible to get an accurate BP reading at the vet's office. My Minnie had a first blood pressure reading of 225. The vet techs insisted on doing it in the back room, even though I told them she is too shy and scared to get an accurate reading. The vet said there is no way that a cat's BP can go as high as 225 just from fear and put her on amlodipine. I didn't feel right about it, but I gave it to her. Within days, Minnie was a lethargic lump and I KNEW the amlodipine made her BP too low.

            Thankfully my vet agreed to take Minnie off the meds and redo her BP. This time the vet gave me 15 minutes to sit with Minnie in a room with the lights dimmed. I petted and talked soothingly to her and she started to purr. By the time the vet techs came in, she was much more relaxed. I kept petting her head and talking to her while they did the readings. They did 5 readings, threw out the highest and lowest and averaged the other three which turned out to be 130. We do her BP this way every time and it has always been normal.

            Your vet should understand you cannot get accurate BP readings from a scared, stressed kitty.

            btw-I always stay in the room whenever they draw blood, take urine, etc. There is no reason an owner cannot see what is being done to ther cat.

            Rita