Re: Oreo/meatloaf position/ nausea?/Ondansetron dosages

  • elise eisfelder
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3 11:28 AM
      I give Max 2mg ondansetron twice a day. I initially started on half that dose but had to give hi cyproheptadine to get him to eat. Then it was pointed out to me that for his size (14-15 lbs) he would need more. Once I made that switch he didn't need the cyproheptadine. I recently added 1/4 a pepcid at night and the gulping he was doing has stopped.

      Elise

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5 7:24 AM
        Thanks Elise,

        OK, thanks about noting the Ondansetron. I thought they're were instances where we might have to "up" the Ondansetron to a higher dose. Currently Oreo is on 2.5mgs per day, split. The vet reccommends , if I have to , that I can go up to 3mgs, so I have a bit more room to move. It seemed to have worked for a couple days, he was feeling great, but now , back to the came symptoms. I will have to keep trying to troubleshoot as I don't know exactly what it is, that is causing him discomfort. You mention "gulping". That is a good description of what Oreo does, most of the time.
        Thank you for your post.

      • mmayer11@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5 7:28 AM
          Susan, what you describe certainly sounds like upset tummy...gas perhaps? When we see this in dogs, it's the first signs of "bloat", which is very serious, even life threatening.

          Marianna