Oreo/meatloaf position/ nausea?/Ondansetron dosages

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      Hi ,
      I think I might have figured out why he is sitting in that position. This was the first "connection" I could make out of all of this.

      Yesterday, directly after eating, he vomited. Then he immediately went into that position & was lip smacking a bit and continued to do so (the lip smacking stopped) at randome last night, leading me to believe this is his sign of nausea.
      While he is already on SEB, as well as the Ondansetron,and Pepcid 2.5mgs daily. I think I need to up his Ondansetron. The vet said I could go up to 3mgs per day for his 14lb body weight.

      He currently has been on 2mgs a day split morning & evening sub q.

      Can anyone tell me how much Ondansetron you are currently using ?
      I would just like to compare "notes". I have seen dosages range quite a bit.

      Thank you
    • elise eisfelder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
        I give Max 2mg ondansetron twice a day. I initially started on half that dose but had to give hi cyproheptadine to get him to eat. Then it was pointed out to me that for his size (14-15 lbs) he would need more. Once I made that switch he didn't need the cyproheptadine. I recently added 1/4 a pepcid at night and the gulping he was doing has stopped.

        Elise

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
          Thanks Elise,

          OK, thanks about noting the Ondansetron. I thought they're were instances where we might have to "up" the Ondansetron to a higher dose. Currently Oreo is on 2.5mgs per day, split. The vet reccommends , if I have to , that I can go up to 3mgs, so I have a bit more room to move. It seemed to have worked for a couple days, he was feeling great, but now , back to the came symptoms. I will have to keep trying to troubleshoot as I don't know exactly what it is, that is causing him discomfort. You mention "gulping". That is a good description of what Oreo does, most of the time.
          Thank you for your post.

        • mmayer11@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
            Susan, what you describe certainly sounds like upset tummy...gas perhaps? When we see this in dogs, it's the first signs of "bloat", which is very serious, even life threatening.

            Marianna