Our little Dolly

  • loum.west@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2013
      We are all so sad that our 7 month old Ragdoll - Dolly, had to be put to sleep this morning.
      She became unwell 3 weeks ago and was in and out of our local vets for a week before being referred to Bristol University Cardiology.
      Very soon after admission we were told she was suffering from HCM and was more than likely already in heart failure.
      We brought her home on Xmas Eve expecting to have her for a couple more months but it wasn't to be.
      I've been checking her breathing rate twice daily and it was fine, always 30 or less. However she has been suffering from diarrhoea all week and after speaking to the vet it was decided she should have a break from the 2.5 mg of benazepril for a couple of days. She had been without it for almost 2 days when yesterday her breathing shot up to 44. After a while I decided to give her the tab but there was no change. As it was NY day I phoned the local vet who told me to give her an extra dose of frusemide. Still no change so we took her up for oxygen therapy for the night. Early this morning we got the call to say she was deteriorating fast and was thrashing around. We told the vets to put her to sleep, she was undoubtedly suffering. We arrived there soon after so she was still warm.
      I can't help but think if she hadn't missed her medication would she still have been here and I feel guilty as if I have let her down...