Re: My Jack

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi Lisa,
      My 18 1/2 year old Burmese, Chloe was diagnosed with severe HCM in early November after developing serious breathing issues. Ultrasound showed Chloe to be in complete heart failure with an enlarged heart (3X normal size). Chloe was immediately put on Lasix (furosimide) - it helped for a week or two, but her respiration rate continued to increase, as she again filled up with fluid. The Lasix on its own did not work for Chloe.

      The vet immediately added enalapril and spirolactone along with the Lasix as an emergency last resort effort to save Chloe's life - at this point the vet said Chloe's condition was grave...

      The additional meds began to work almost immediately - Chloe respiration rapidly decreased and she began to improve - subsequent checkups revealed good breathing sounds, free lung space, etc. If ever the Lasix on its own doesn't seem to be working as well for Jack, just know there are other meds that can be added to the Lasix regimen to keep Jack's respiration rate down.

      As far as the constipation issue - Chloe has always been on the constipated side - I've been able to control it fairly well with daily doses of Laxatone. Chloe loves it, so I increase/decrease the amounts depending on what's going on with her "bowel-wise". I give it as a treat after her meds. Don't know if this is of any help, or if you can try using some Laxatone in addition to your Metamucil therapy.

      Sending you and Jack prayers and postive thoughts,
      Suzanne and Chloe