Happy New Year - Chloe Update

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hello Everyone,

      Just wanted to send out a little progress report on Chloe. We successfully made it through Christmas and New Year's without any serious difficulties - thank goodness. Chloe was brought in for another comprehensive checkup last Friday - heart sounds good, weight is low but stable, bloodwork has actually improved.

      Chloe's bloodwork results:12/28/2012
      Urea Nitrogen - 70mg - was 124
      Creatinine - 3.5 - was 4.0
      Phosphorus - 4.7 - was 5.1
      Sodium - 152mmol/L
      Potassium - 3.5mmol/L - *very good
      Chloride - 123mmol/L
      Hct - 35%
      Hb - 11g/dL

      Chloe was slightly dehydrated, so it was a good time for my first lesson in administering the Sub-Q fluids. Thanks to the great folks here suggesting I watch some YouTube videos, I was somewhat familiar with the procedure beforehand.

      I watched the vet tech set up the apparatus, but got Chloe into the proper position and injected her by myself - it all went quickly and smoothly - Yea! Chloe was farily calm throughout the ordeal - but afterward when I tried to get her into her carrier, she went nuts and practically blew the house down yelling. The vet said this was great :) as it showed Chloe's much improved ability to breathe - as any cat that can yell that loudly has quite a bit of breathing space!

      All along, Chloe's biggest problem has been her extremely poor appetite. However, after a little trial and error I discovered the "magic elixir" - the liquid from "Bumble Bee Very Low Sodium Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water". I drain the cans, then add a couple of teaspoons to Chloe's Fancy Feast (along with a few tiny flakes of the tuna itself)- Chloe (for the moment) loves it and is definitely more interested in eating. Vet approves, so as long as Chloe continues to enjoy her tuna, we're all happy.

      Chloe's still on the enalapril/spiro/lasix combo - with the lasix skipped every other AM - The vet wants to try to decrease the lasix again after her next visit to help out Chloe's kidneys - I'm reluctant to change anything at this point, so we'll see...

      Again, thank you all for your advice and support. I'm just taking it moment by moment and enjoying each day Chloe and I have together...

      Prayers and Purrs we all have a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful New Year,
      Suzanne and Chloe
    • Westgold

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
          That is wonderful news about Chloe :-)

          I would want to see her stable longer before changing what is working, specifically the lasix.  You can continue to have blood work done to be sure the kidneys do not worsen, but the heart should be priority.

          Here's to very happy and HEALTHY 2013 !

          Laurie and Boo