Re: [FH] My Jack

  • June Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hello,

      There is an excellent website for feline constipation: http://www.felineconstipation.org

      Do have a look at this as it has lots of essential information on treating constipation in kitties.

      Peas and green beans can be used instead of pumpkin: http://www.felineconstipation.org/prevention.html#FiberorPrebiotics

      I'm in the UK and pumpkin is not easily available, so I tried peas and both my kitties eat these mixed in with their food no problem - 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon mixed into a couple of their meals a day.

      Hope this helps and that Jack is soon feeling better.

      Best wishes,

      June, Freddie and Daisy

      ________________________________
        :
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear Jack has gone into heart failure. But there is a lot can
        be done. Has he had an echo recently to see how his heart is? The
        frucimide will help prevent fluid build up but he may need other drugs too to help
        his heart relax and hopefully reduce his frucimide when he is stable. These
        might be ace inhibitors or beta blockers. Has he seen a cardiologist
        recently? My Trixi was diagnosed at 3 months and went into heart failure and
        they gave her a lot of drugs. She is still on those, but only takes a very
        small diuretic.

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
          Does Jack have a cardiologist?  Was an ultrasound done on the heart? There are other medications in addition to the lasix that may help Jack's heart.

          As far as constipation, does Jack regularly poop or is he not pooping at all?  If he is not going at all Metamucil probably won't help as he may be blocked.   My kitty was straining with hard poop but would go regularly... we added Miralax to her diet and she has been doing much better.  It takes a few days to kick in as it only changes newly forming poop, not poop already there.

          I am glad Jack is doing better :-)

          Laurie and Boo

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
            Hi Lisa,
            My 18 1/2 year old Burmese, Chloe was diagnosed with severe HCM in early November after developing serious breathing issues. Ultrasound showed Chloe to be in complete heart failure with an enlarged heart (3X normal size). Chloe was immediately put on Lasix (furosimide) - it helped for a week or two, but her respiration rate continued to increase, as she again filled up with fluid. The Lasix on its own did not work for Chloe.

            The vet immediately added enalapril and spirolactone along with the Lasix as an emergency last resort effort to save Chloe's life - at this point the vet said Chloe's condition was grave...

            The additional meds began to work almost immediately - Chloe respiration rapidly decreased and she began to improve - subsequent checkups revealed good breathing sounds, free lung space, etc. If ever the Lasix on its own doesn't seem to be working as well for Jack, just know there are other meds that can be added to the Lasix regimen to keep Jack's respiration rate down.

            As far as the constipation issue - Chloe has always been on the constipated side - I've been able to control it fairly well with daily doses of Laxatone. Chloe loves it, so I increase/decrease the amounts depending on what's going on with her "bowel-wise". I give it as a treat after her meds. Don't know if this is of any help, or if you can try using some Laxatone in addition to your Metamucil therapy.

            Sending you and Jack prayers and postive thoughts,
            Suzanne and Chloe