My Jack

  • lisah2343
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
      I just found this group and wanted to share a little as well as get some feedback. My sweet boy, Jack, was diagnosed with HCM at the age of 7 months. At the time of diagnosis, the cardiologist said that he probably wouldn't live past 3. He did caution me that cats are resilient and are always ready to surprise! Well, Jack is 9 years old and has had no clinical symptoms until this past November. He has been such a love and a big one at that! He has been in the 26-28 pound range for several years. I limit him to about half a cup of food each day, so I guess genetics played a big role in his size. I am always measuring his breathing rate and started noticing that it was going up. I took him to the vet and was told that he was in the beginning stages of congestive heart failure. While I knew that I was lucky to have had a healthy boy for so long, I was devastated that we were finally going down this path. Since then, his furosemide dose has been increased to about 19mg daily and his breathing rate is back to 28-32 bpm. He seems to be back to his normal self but is having some issues with constipation and isn't eating as much. He still loves his treats and drinks plenty of water. He doesn't care for pumpkin, so the vet told me to try some Metamucil on his food. I started that yesterday and also diluted about 1/2 tsp of Metamucil and gave to him via syringe. I was wondering how long it might take to work. I think he has been eating a bit more today so I haven't given him any Metamucil by syringe.

      This most recent diagnosis is still so new and I find myself constantly worrying, checking his breathing rate and just wishing he didn't have to go through this. I am so sad and he is back to normal! It is my hope to deal with all of this and enjoy him for as long as I have him...maybe even years.

      Does anyone have any experience with the constipation issues and some info on how long it takes the Metamucil to start working?
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
        Metamucil is a strange and wonderful thing. It does take a few days to start working, but once you start giving it you need to give it everyday forever. If you skip a day or two, the problem only gets a lot worse, and takes longer to resolve the next time. It might be better if you simply changed Jack to all canned food, nothing dry at all, and add extra water to the canned food. He will also lose some weight on this diet, and reduce the strain on his heart. It is the carbs in the dry food that make and keep our kitties fat. He needs a high-protein low-carb diet to reduce. Stop all treats too, except for cooked chicken, turkey -- treats are high carb and also contain sugar. Most cases of constipation can be helped a lot by canned food --
[...]

      • June Jeffrey
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
          Hello,

          There is an excellent website for feline constipation: http://www.felineconstipation.org

          Do have a look at this as it has lots of essential information on treating constipation in kitties.

          Peas and green beans can be used instead of pumpkin: http://www.felineconstipation.org/prevention.html#FiberorPrebiotics

          I'm in the UK and pumpkin is not easily available, so I tried peas and both my kitties eat these mixed in with their food no problem - 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon mixed into a couple of their meals a day.

          Hope this helps and that Jack is soon feeling better.

          Best wishes,

          June, Freddie and Daisy

          ________________________________
            :
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
            Hi

            I am sorry to hear Jack has gone into heart failure. But there is a lot can
            be done. Has he had an echo recently to see how his heart is? The
            frucimide will help prevent fluid build up but he may need other drugs too to help
            his heart relax and hopefully reduce his frucimide when he is stable. These
            might be ace inhibitors or beta blockers. Has he seen a cardiologist
            recently? My Trixi was diagnosed at 3 months and went into heart failure and
            they gave her a lot of drugs. She is still on those, but only takes a very
            small diuretic.

          • Laurie Stead
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
              Does Jack have a cardiologist?  Was an ultrasound done on the heart? There are other medications in addition to the lasix that may help Jack's heart.

              As far as constipation, does Jack regularly poop or is he not pooping at all?  If he is not going at all Metamucil probably won't help as he may be blocked.   My kitty was straining with hard poop but would go regularly... we added Miralax to her diet and she has been doing much better.  It takes a few days to kick in as it only changes newly forming poop, not poop already there.

              I am glad Jack is doing better :-)

              Laurie and Boo

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
                Hi Lisa,
                My 18 1/2 year old Burmese, Chloe was diagnosed with severe HCM in early November after developing serious breathing issues. Ultrasound showed Chloe to be in complete heart failure with an enlarged heart (3X normal size). Chloe was immediately put on Lasix (furosimide) - it helped for a week or two, but her respiration rate continued to increase, as she again filled up with fluid. The Lasix on its own did not work for Chloe.

                The vet immediately added enalapril and spirolactone along with the Lasix as an emergency last resort effort to save Chloe's life - at this point the vet said Chloe's condition was grave...

                The additional meds began to work almost immediately - Chloe respiration rapidly decreased and she began to improve - subsequent checkups revealed good breathing sounds, free lung space, etc. If ever the Lasix on its own doesn't seem to be working as well for Jack, just know there are other meds that can be added to the Lasix regimen to keep Jack's respiration rate down.

                As far as the constipation issue - Chloe has always been on the constipated side - I've been able to control it fairly well with daily doses of Laxatone. Chloe loves it, so I increase/decrease the amounts depending on what's going on with her "bowel-wise". I give it as a treat after her meds. Don't know if this is of any help, or if you can try using some Laxatone in addition to your Metamucil therapy.

                Sending you and Jack prayers and postive thoughts,
                Suzanne and Chloe