Said good-bye to my kitty PB

  • Lee Grillo
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2012
      I want to say how wonderful it has been being a part of this group--the support I received after my first post 5 months ago about my cat allowed me to put aside my grief and be there for my cat.  Someone told me that we could learn a lesson from our cats--they are sick but don't know it and live life with the same joy and love that the always have.  I watched my cat over that time and found this to be true. I promised myself and her that knowing the extent of her disease, I would not let her suffer.  I contacted an at-home euthanasia service two weeks ago after a scare.  My worst fear was her suffering in pain and breathing distress while I drove her to a hospital filled with scary people, sounds, and barking dogs. The doctor I spoke to on the phone was gentle and a wonderful man.  For the past two days, PB was a little more subdued (everyone that knew her commented that they could never tell she was sick). I had to call her to breakfast instead of
      her bounding in, crawling up my leg. She was snuggling under the covers with me-unusual for her. While I vacuumed, she stayed in the room, watching me--also very strange.  She loved to escape my apartment and run up the stairs--I usually followed her and everyday we'd do a building walk.  Her last night, she walked out to the hall, tore at the carpet as usual, but didn't approach the stairs.Last night, at 5pm, she jumped on the couch to me and started coughing.  I listened to her lungs and heard the fluid.  I gave her an extra dose of lasix.  In a similar episode last week, this had worked. This time it didn't.  Then I noticed that she had only peed once that day, instead of the usual 5-6.  I noticed her eyes were dilated.  She let me hold her.  I knew I had a choice to make and I believe I made the right one and kept my promise to her.  She never knew debilitation.  She never knew tremendous pain.  She knew I was with her to the end.  I
      cannot say enough about at home euthanasia.  The vet arrived within 30 minutes.  She was gentle, kind, caring.  It was heartbreaking but beautiful.  There was no struggling. Afterward, that vet carried my baby out on her shoulder wrapped in a towel--her cheek resting against my cat. She even left me with a book on grieving a pet. Has been helpful during the sleepless night.My heart is breaking as I write this but I know my baby is happy and at peace.  No more scary episodes, poking and prodding....I knew how severe she was and I wanted to give her a good death.  The vet reassured me.  I wish continued love and health to all of you and your special kitties.  Look and see what lesson you can take from them.  They are all here for a reason.Peace...Lee

    • Kevin O'Lone
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2012
        Lee,

        I am so sorry to hear about PB.

        I really identify with a lot of your posting. These are similar to the thoughts I had when I lost Nike last month.

        Hugs,

        Kevin

        Sent from my iPad

        On Dec 29, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Lee Grillo <mslee67@...> wrote:

        > I want to say how wonderful it has been being a part of this group--the support I received after my first post 5 months ago about my cat allowed me to put aside my grief and be there for my cat. Someone told me that we could learn a lesson from our cats--they are sick but don't know it and live life with the same joy and love that the always have. I watched my cat over that time and found this to be true. I promised myself and her that knowing the extent of her disease, I would not let her suffer. I contacted an at-home euthanasia service two weeks ago after a scare. My worst fear was her suffering in pain and breathing distress while I drove her to a hospital filled with scary people, sounds, and barking dogs. The doctor I spoke to on the phone was gentle and a wonderful man. For the past two days, PB was a little more subdued (everyone that knew her commented that they could never tell she was sick). I had to call her to breakfast instead of
        > her bounding in, crawling up my leg. She was snuggling under the covers with me-unusual for her. While I vacuumed, she stayed in the room, watching me--also very strange. She loved to escape my apartment and run up the stairs--I usually followed her and everyday we'd do a building walk. Her last night, she walked out to the hall, tore at the carpet as usual, but didn't approach the stairs.Last night, at 5pm, she jumped on the couch to me and started coughing. I listened to her lungs and heard the fluid. I gave her an extra dose of lasix. In a similar episode last week, this had worked. This time it didn't. Then I noticed that she had only peed once that day, instead of the usual 5-6. I noticed her eyes were dilated. She let me hold her. I knew I had a choice to make and I believe I made the right one and kept my promise to her. She never knew debilitation. She never knew tremendous pain. She knew I was with her to the end. I
        > cannot say enough about at home euthanasia. The vet arrived within 30 minutes. She was gentle, kind, caring. It was heartbreaking but beautiful. There was no struggling. Afterward, that vet carried my baby out on her shoulder wrapped in a towel--her cheek resting against my cat. She even left me with a book on grieving a pet. Has been helpful during the sleepless night.My heart is breaking as I write this but I know my baby is happy and at peace. No more scary episodes, poking and prodding....I knew how severe she was and I wanted to give her a good death. The vet reassured me. I wish continued love and health to all of you and your special kitties. Look and see what lesson you can take from them. They are all here for a reason.Peace...Lee

      • Joanne Haeussinger
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2012
          Lee,
          I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear, sweet PB. I'm thankful that you were able to make that benevolent decision to let her go peacefully. Bless you as you work your way through your sorrow, and hopefully soon you will be able to smile and laugh about all the wonderful times you spent with her.
          Peace and hugs being sent your way
          Joanne
          (& Twix, Tigger & Tagg)

          Sent from my iPhone