Atenolol dosage question

  • starbuck61
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2002
      Hey all,
      I have a little girl (Yoda) on Atenolol. She started out at half a
      25mg tablet twice daily. The vet is now having me slowly work her up
      to a full tablet twice daily. I am looking at all the other kitty
      dosages, and none of them seem nearly this high. Is there anyone out
      there who is using a similar dosage?

      Thanks,
      Spencer
    • Bill & Linda Fischbach
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2002
        Hi Spencer,

        That seems like an awful lot. What is Yoda taking this for, and is she
        taking any other heart medications? Did the vet give you a specific
        reason why the dose was so high. Atenolol slows the heart rate -- can you
        check Yoda's heart rate (don't ask me, we can't do it even with a
        stethoscope)? Has the vet checked Yoda's heart rate since she started the
        Atenolol?

        Our Mittens is 21 pounds, and takes 1.25 mg (1/4 of a 5mg tablet) of Norvasc
        for high BP, and 1/4 of a 25mg Atenolol for BP and high heart rate.

        Linda

        > I have a little girl (Yoda) on Atenolol. She started out at half a
        > 25mg tablet twice daily. The vet is now having me slowly work her up
        > to a full tablet twice daily. I am looking at all the other kitty
        > dosages, and none of them seem nearly this high. Is there anyone out
        > there who is using a similar dosage?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Spencer

      • starbuck61
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2002
          Hi Linda,
          Yoda started out on a half tablet, twice daily (well, she worked up to
          that, after having been on Propranolol, but not reacting to it too
          well--she wasn't eating and her coat got messy). She initially had a
          gallop rhythm and murmur, I am thinking hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
          (but am not sure), and she was given an ultrasound to look at her
          heart. She went in for a checkup after the Atenolol was up to the
          first dosage, and her heart was sounding better, she is eating better
          than on the Propranolol, and seems to be feeling better. But at the
          checkup, the cardiologist said to start working her up to a full
          tablet, twice daily. I guess I wouldn't have thought much of it, but
          reading the mail regarding other kitties on Atenolol, it just seemed
          like a lot in comparison.
          I believe I am going to double-check tomorrow with the vet, as I have
          to call anyway to have them call the pharmacy and okay a refill, but I
          thought if I could get my worries alleviated somewhat tonight, I would
          feel better in the meantime...
          Thanks for the input!
          Spencer

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Bill & Linda Fischbach" <fischbl@c...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Spencer,
          >
          > That seems like an awful lot. What is Yoda taking this for, and is
          she
          > taking any other heart medications? Did the vet give you a
          specific
          > reason why the dose was so high. Atenolol slows the heart rate --
          can you
          > check Yoda's heart rate (don't ask me, we can't do it even with a
          > stethoscope)? Has the vet checked Yoda's heart rate since she
          started the
          > Atenolol?
          >
          > Our Mittens is 21 pounds, and takes 1.25 mg (1/4 of a 5mg tablet) of
          Norvasc
          > for high BP, and 1/4 of a 25mg Atenolol for BP and high heart rate.
          >
          > Linda

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Bob&Anne
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2002
            Spencer,

            That sounds dangerous to me. I am wondering if your vet is not making a mistake in dosing. When my cat, Munchie, started on Atenolol, a vet student worked up the dosage and prescribed one 25mg tablet a day (the beauty of Atenolol is that you can dose just once a day). I called the vet because I had not seen anyone using such a high dosage and she quickly double-checked and apologized profusely for the mistake. Munchie is now on 1/4 tablet once a day. I would seriously question the dosage you are using ASAP.

            Anne V
            Warner Robins, GA

          • Garyandana901@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2002
              In a message dated 1/16/02 9:42:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              starbuck61@... writes:

              > I have a little girl (Yoda) on Atenolol. She started out at half a
              > 25mg tablet twice daily. The vet is now having me slowly work her up
              > to a full tablet twice daily.

              Just for jollies, compare it to my dosage (and I do mean ME!). I am on one
              50mg tablet once per day, and I am WAAAAAYY bigger than a kitty!! :-) I
              honestly have no idea what the normal dosage is for a kitty, but it just
              struck me strange that your
              little one is going to be on the same dosage as a person roughly 10 times her
              weight!

              By the way, thanks to everyone for the responses on the echocardiogram. I
              was afraid they would shave him and squash him down on his side for this
              test, which would upset him a great deal. I have to admit that I spoiled
              him. He & his sister were found in a drainage ditch when they were 7 - 10
              days old, and were bottle-fed by me from that point on. He's my baby, and he
              KNOWS it!

              Dana & Tigger