Anyone with a cat on atenolol for an arrhythmia, please chime in...Dr Plaskett ?

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012
      About 3 weeks ago (which is about 2 months on Atenolol), I noticed Oreo sitting kinda strange. At first, it occured while we were trying to transition him back to Pate' style food mixed with warm water instead of blending it up as we had been doing the prior 3-4 months because of his painful teeth. He's since then, had them pulled.

      Right after eating, he would do what I THOUGHT was the meatloaf position, tucking his front paws under his chest, head down, and rump kinda in the air, not his norm. So, then, we started the SEB and went back to blending his food. Reason we did this , is I watch him eat, and he swallows his food, kinda bypassing his mouth, almost forgetting how to chew, but now that we went back to blending, he was fine. Until yesterday, when I saw him start this again. But NOW, he is just doing it randomly and only for a few minutes and when you pet him or call his name, he pretty much rolls out of it. Only like once or twice per day, if that, but it's not his norm. I was wondering if there could be some kind of strange "fluttering" in his chest, kinda like a panic attack, that he's needing to do that ? There is NO vomiting, no nausea that I can see and he is eating well. The next time he does it, I am going to take a picture and post it, plus email it to my vet and see if anyone can shed some light on it. He's had all recent bloodwork, ecg's, echo's and 3 follow ups since the dental to rule out mouth ulcers. He's already on Ondansetron, Pepcid, SEB, enalpril & atenolol, aspirin 81mgs 2x's weekly.
      If it's any consideration, I don't see this as bothering him. He's completely fiune otherwise and he's not "stuck" in that position for more than a few minutes here and there. Could it be that he just likes this NEW position ? lol, but i don't

      Any ideas ?