Re: Atenolol question.....

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
      May was put on atenolol in July after fluid in the lungs, she has minor hcm, and a minor murmur. It seemed to immediately slow her heart down. Though more was prescribed, I give her 1/6 of a 25mg tablet morning and night, so 1/3 tab per day total. If her rate goes up I will increase to 1/4 tab twice a day, for a total of 12.5mg per day.

      -Lee and May
      6a Re: Atenolol question..... Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:37 pm (PST) . Posted by: "Rose Pike" rosepike@... Rufus was placed on atenolol 25 mg 1/2 tablet daily about 6 years ago for his HCM. He also takes a compounded dose of verapamil daily. Since being on these 2 medications, he has improved significantly. His murmur was originally a 4/6 and subsequent echo showed it to be at least 2/6, but at his last echo about 2 months ago the cardiologist could barely detect a murmur. So, to answer your question as to whether the medication is helping, I would say it DEFINITELY is helping. There is no other explanation for the improvement in Rufus' echo over the years other than the medication he is taking and the love and care he gets from his humans. Please do not take Oreo off the atenolol.