ProBNP, info from the cardiologist

  • lynn49805
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2012
      Marilyn,

      We visited the cardiologist today and the ProBNP test was recommended to check the condition of my 19 yr old Kiwi's heart before surgery. It will either clear him for surgery or indicate further testing. Because he has been symptom free for about 7 years from his bout with CHF and HCM from IV fluids,I am opting to do this test before an X-ray or echo. The cost is reasonable, $75 or $125 here in Oregon.

      The doctor said it gives a current picture of how the heart is.

      Luckily, our cardiologist just got back from a conference discussing detailed anesthesia protocols for feline cardiac patients. For Ki who has kidney disease, this will be challenging.

      He will hopefully clear Ki for surgery.

      Also found his blood pressure is a tad low (90) instead of the high reading we got 2 weeks ago at the vets where he was very upset (171 average). So it was a good call to have it rechecked while I talked to him and kept him calm. What a difference!

      So the ProBNP test may be helpful for some of you. If I had lots of money, we would have an echo done instead. But this is a great test for us.

      Lynn
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2012
        Hi -- we discussed this test a while back, and all our research showed that it is NOT a reliable indicator of heart disease. It has slight value in screening groups of ferals, etc -- but I would never trust it to show an accurate picture of a dear pet's heart. ONLY the echo done by a cardiologist can ascertain the exact status of a cat's heart --- and you do need to know the exact status before you consider any surgery. I'm surprised to hear your cardiologist mention it. He will probably end up having to do the echo anyway, and you've spent another $100 or so that you didn't have to.

      • Mosaic.artist@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
          Hello "Westgold12" (sorry I don't know your name as your post is unsigned),

          I was saddened and disappointed to receive a judgmental post while I am in the midst of a difficult situation. I DID NOT say the ProBNP test would give the exact status of the heart. What I said is that our cardiologist said it could clear him for surgery, or indicate if further testing is needed. My cat has no signs of any heart issues. No murmurs, arrhymia, or gallops. His heart rate is normal. His resting respiration is 16-20. His blood pressure is almost normal at 90. His last echo was normal. He runs without panting, jumps four feet, curls up in a tight ball. All good signs. I am well aware heart disease can be tricky to diagnose in cats and am trying to be careful. This test gives me more information.

          You have not examined my cat and are not qualified to give veterinary advice unless you are a veterinarian.

          I have looked at some of the research and will trust my Board Certified cardiologist who is in an excellent position to evaluate the appropriateness of this test for my cat in my situation.

          I got my cat through Saddle thrombus, HCM, congestive heart failure, and 7 years later he is doing well at 19 years old. So I am not new to this and have done a great job with him. No one thought he would survive.

          Of course I am very worried about him having dental surgery. I was asked to post what I found by a member of your group. I did NOT ask for advice in this post- only in my previous post for anesthesia protocols. I received one reply with great information and several very kind and supportive emails. I appreciate that!

          Apparently if a member does not agree with your opinion, then attacking the integrity of their doctor is fair game. This is very unfortunate.

          I am very disappointed to get such a harsh response when I am going through a very stressful time. It was not helpful.

          I have seen misinformation repeated many times on these lists. Everyone on the list accepts the misinformation and repeats it. There is a place for this test and no, it is not only for testing feral cats, but for testing "dear pets" too. Each person and their vet need to make this decision and do their own research as to whether the test might be appropriate for their cat.

          I posted a picture of Kiwi today in the photos file in case anyone wants to see him. He is a very sweet boy and very special to me.

          Lynn