Isabella, reluctant to lie down

  • madsongstress
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2012
      Hey all, I am cross posting on the CRF site too:

      I didn't take Isabella up today for an x-ray and re-check, we were already
      scheduled for saturday for that I was just feeling panicky, but now I think
      maybe I should have.

      She is hungry, eating, drinking, had her 50mls of sub-q last night and all her
      meds.

      She takes norvasc for BP, we have her on Renal K for low potassium, and an
      antibiotic.

      I have also been giving Carafate for suspected ulcers.

      Her breathing seems fine, no open moth or wheezing. When I thump her side it
      seems normally hollow, her belly seems kind of mushy, not terribly so, and when
      I palpate I don't feel anything weird except maybe a bit of poop?

      (Update 6am)
      I think I am detecting a very slight wheeze in her breathing. NO!

      She doesn't seem in pain, but I have been sleeping off and on all night, and now
      she's up again just standing on my bed, just standing....

      Her eyes look good, she walks around, climbs the stairs ok. She is anemic, her
      last HCT was 21.6 and we are treating with B-vitamins and standing by with
      Aranesp if needed, but I just have this feeling that something is not right?

      I know hunching over and struggling to breathe indicate pleural effusion, but
      she isn't doing that.

      SHe ate 2 full bowls of food loaded with supplements and binders while I was at
      work yesterday, same..the day before....

      Could I just have given her so much stuff and fluids that she is kind of
      uncomfortable?

      Could the extra Pet-Tinic and B-12 be making her constipated?

      You'd think if she was constipated she'd be vomiting or refusing to eat, as I've
      dealt with that in cats before...and I think she had a bowel movement yesterday
      or the day before.

      I know she's probably still a bit dehydrated, but we are being careful with the
      sub-Q's in case she has a heart problem, her skin snaps back pretty good when I
      pinch it.

      God I just don't know, has anybody else seen this?

      Her BUN had come down from off the scale Nov 30 to 130, last week, and I know
      it's got to be coming down even more as I hydrate her.
      Her Creat was 9.9 and her phos was 9.1, but we've been using binders. I am
      hopeful saturday's checkup will reveal much lower numbers....

      I can't remember who managed CHF and CRF, but if anybody could send me that file I would be so grateful.....

      Any help most appreciated!
      Michelle
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2012
        Hi Michelle
        It could be any of a number of things. She may feel sickly or sore or may
        have an infection coming on. But any cat with a heart problem with any
        changes like you are describing needs to see a vet for a check up. It is better
        safe than sorry and most vets won't mind a quick listen to the lungs and a
        temperature check.

        This happened to me with Milli, she needed antibiotics. But because of the
        risk of sitting up being related to fluid, especially with a wheeze, I`d go
        today and not delay. It might be needing antibiotics, it maybe nothing,
        but I`d never leave it to chance.

        Let us know how she goes on. Trust your instincts. When Trixi had her heart
        attack it was a suspicion, slightly increased breathing and sitting up.
        Nothing majorly obvious at the time. Just an instinct.