Re: [FH] Re: Elevated blood levels in heart kitties

  • Mosaic.artist@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
      ProBNP is a test I learned about that predicts heart events in people and is offered by IDEXX in the US for animals.

      I am trying to find if it can be helpful after a cat is diagnosed with heart disease. Will see my cardiologist this week, so I will get his opinion.

      Lynn

      On Dec 11, 2012, at 6:48 AM, elfinmyst@... wrote:
      I don't know any blood markers for HCM or other forms of heart disease___

    • Sarah Wadey
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
        We used ProBNP as an initial indicator to see whether Rascasse (also crf) needed a heart scan. It confirmed there was damage, but we still needed the scan for a full diagnosis.
        My vet had not wanted to bother with proBNP, she wanted to go straight for the scan. I insisted on proBNP as we were running other bloods at the time anyway and didn't want the stress of a scan if there was no need.
        The scan revealed HCM, not the blood test.
        Hope that helps
        Sarah & Rascasse x