Re: Elevated blood levels in heart kitties

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
      Hi Michelle

      There is a marker for heart disease which is tested after a suspected heart
      attack to see how much muscle damage there is, but I don't know any blood
      markers for HCM or other forms of heart disease. Milli has tests to check
      her PCV which measures the amount of red blood cells, sometimes that can go
      up if not enough oxygen is being pumped to the lungs but Milli has
      congenital heart disease.

    • Mosaic.artist@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
        ProBNP is a test I learned about that predicts heart events in people and is offered by IDEXX in the US for animals.

        I am trying to find if it can be helpful after a cat is diagnosed with heart disease. Will see my cardiologist this week, so I will get his opinion.

        Lynn

        On Dec 11, 2012, at 6:48 AM, elfinmyst@... wrote:
        I don't know any blood markers for HCM or other forms of heart disease___

      • Sarah Wadey
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
          We used ProBNP as an initial indicator to see whether Rascasse (also crf) needed a heart scan. It confirmed there was damage, but we still needed the scan for a full diagnosis.
          My vet had not wanted to bother with proBNP, she wanted to go straight for the scan. I insisted on proBNP as we were running other bloods at the time anyway and didn't want the stress of a scan if there was no need.
          The scan revealed HCM, not the blood test.
          Hope that helps
          Sarah & Rascasse x