Re: New Member - Kalysta, and Bob

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
      Hi Bob

      I am sorry to hear of Kalysta, she is very brave. It's good news the lasix
      worked so well and quickly but I would also be wary of reducing it until it
      is certain she is out of heart failure. The potassium and kidney levels
      need to monitored as well, either could cause her appetite to have problems
      and potassium depletion can cause nervous disorders like walking wobbly. It
      is easy to get a potassium supplement, mine came as beef flavour liquid.

      CoQ 10 helps all my cat with heart problems at 30mg per day. Most of the
      forum cats here are on that so it is something to consider from the health
      store or as Cardiostrength which is made for cats with heart problems. You
      can also consider nattokinase (must have vitamin K removed) to prevent blood
      clots if she is at risk of those.

      Count breaths, see what is normal when she is at rest, but not dreaming. It
      should be around 20. Up to 30 is considered normal, over 30 caution and
      over 40 an emergency. But the most important is to see what she is like
      normally so you can see changes quickly.

      Enjoy her! She can still play if she feels like it and enjoy her toys and
      some exercise. She is totally unaware she is sick. I used to be constantly
      checking mine and worrying, but that worried them. So enjoy every day with
      her.

      Lyn:)

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2012
        Hi Bob,

        I have included the group so they will have all the information to offer their help as well.  I don't have personal experience with appetite stimulants so maybe others do.

        Finding a cardiologist is really important as they have the best knowledge when it comes to diagnosing and treating HCM. Is there an area Vet Emergency Hospital that may have a cardiology department?  That is how I found Boo's cardiologist who saved her life.  Also get full blood work done so you can see the potassium and kidney levels.  This may explain what is causing the inappetance and wobbly walking and gives you a benchmark for future blood work.

        You mentioned a lot of drinking/urinating which you will see from the lasix... but again blood work will show if there is a
        kidney issue at all.  Yes, long term use of lasix can cause issues but it is important to keep the fluid away right now.  I can't stress enough my personal feeling that lasix is important here.

        She is indeed a miracle and I have a feeling with your diligence she will fight this too.  So keep doing what you're doing but try to find a cardiologist and continue with the lasix for now (did I say that already?? ;-))

        Keep us posted.
        Laurie