Re: [FH] proBNP test to measure heart function, anyone think this is a helpful test?

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
      Laurie & Joanne,

      I was told the test could indicate worsening heart function. It is about $125 vs a $350 echo.  It is predictive of heart events in people and the vet thought it would help with anesthesia protocol.

      Ki
      has had 4 or 5 echocardiograms and the last one was normal but many
      years ago.  He had heart failure b/c of IV fluids and  then was diagnosed with HCM. No treatment for 8 years. He has no murmur or arrhythmia. He had no coughing and normal
      breathing. I know there still can be problems without obvious signs.
      When he was ill, his heart rate was elevated, so I have assumed his heart is fine, but we still have to be careful.

      I don't have the
      money for the "Cadillac care": a $1000 dental surgery, $700
      anesthesiologist, $400 echo/cardio visit/blood pressure, etc.. Am trying to be
      careful with his health, but keep costs within my means. Will see the
      cardiologist this week and see what he thinks. He has lowered the bill without my asking before, in
      part because Ki, an orange tabby, is easy to handle (he has a leash and sits in a chair
      in the waiting room. Or perhaps b/c he knows I am an
      artist. If I told most people how much I will be spending on a 19 year old
      cat when my clothes are worn and have holes and my car is 22 years old, they would think I
      am insane!

      So it is helpful to be in this group.

      Lynn