Re: [FH] proBNP test to measure heart function, anyone think this is a helpful test?

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
      I thought this was only for initial diagnosis? If positive, then you have the full echo done to figure out the rest.  Am I mistaken?

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
        The blood test only shows the possibility of having the disease occur (if for example, it hasn't yet) but if a vet believes there is heart trouble, then an echo is needed and not a blood test. Otherwise, the blood work, if it shows a positive result, will still require an echo to determine type of heart disease and how far along it is and types of meds to manage it.

        If the vet believes or has heard heart trouble, then have an echo. Skip the cost of the blood test.

      • Lynn
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
          Laurie & Joanne,

          I was told the test could indicate worsening heart function. It is about $125 vs a $350 echo.  It is predictive of heart events in people and the vet thought it would help with anesthesia protocol.

          Ki
          has had 4 or 5 echocardiograms and the last one was normal but many
          years ago.  He had heart failure b/c of IV fluids and  then was diagnosed with HCM. No treatment for 8 years. He has no murmur or arrhythmia. He had no coughing and normal
          breathing. I know there still can be problems without obvious signs.
          When he was ill, his heart rate was elevated, so I have assumed his heart is fine, but we still have to be careful.

          I don't have the
          money for the "Cadillac care": a $1000 dental surgery, $700
          anesthesiologist, $400 echo/cardio visit/blood pressure, etc.. Am trying to be
          careful with his health, but keep costs within my means. Will see the
          cardiologist this week and see what he thinks. He has lowered the bill without my asking before, in
          part because Ki, an orange tabby, is easy to handle (he has a leash and sits in a chair
          in the waiting room. Or perhaps b/c he knows I am an
          artist. If I told most people how much I will be spending on a 19 year old
          cat when my clothes are worn and have holes and my car is 22 years old, they would think I
          am insane!

          So it is helpful to be in this group.

          Lynn