proBNP test to measure heart function, anyone think this is a helpful test?

  • lynn49805
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
      Interviewed the first vet about extracting 19 yr old Ki's upper canine. Guess that is better than the lower, but it has a huge root.

      Vet recommended proBNP test if I didn't want to have another echo. Wondering if anyone has opinions on the accuracy of this test. Apparently if the results say his heart disease is progressing, then other measures would be taken during his dental surgery.
      http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/corporate/news/press-releases/20080725pr.jsf

      Thanks,

      Lynn
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
        I thought this was only for initial diagnosis? If positive, then you have the full echo done to figure out the rest.  Am I mistaken?

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
          The blood test only shows the possibility of having the disease occur (if for example, it hasn't yet) but if a vet believes there is heart trouble, then an echo is needed and not a blood test. Otherwise, the blood work, if it shows a positive result, will still require an echo to determine type of heart disease and how far along it is and types of meds to manage it.

          If the vet believes or has heard heart trouble, then have an echo. Skip the cost of the blood test.

        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
            Laurie & Joanne,

            I was told the test could indicate worsening heart function. It is about $125 vs a $350 echo.  It is predictive of heart events in people and the vet thought it would help with anesthesia protocol.

            Ki
            has had 4 or 5 echocardiograms and the last one was normal but many
            years ago.  He had heart failure b/c of IV fluids and  then was diagnosed with HCM. No treatment for 8 years. He has no murmur or arrhythmia. He had no coughing and normal
            breathing. I know there still can be problems without obvious signs.
            When he was ill, his heart rate was elevated, so I have assumed his heart is fine, but we still have to be careful.

            I don't have the
            money for the "Cadillac care": a $1000 dental surgery, $700
            anesthesiologist, $400 echo/cardio visit/blood pressure, etc.. Am trying to be
            careful with his health, but keep costs within my means. Will see the
            cardiologist this week and see what he thinks. He has lowered the bill without my asking before, in
            part because Ki, an orange tabby, is easy to handle (he has a leash and sits in a chair
            in the waiting room. Or perhaps b/c he knows I am an
            artist. If I told most people how much I will be spending on a 19 year old
            cat when my clothes are worn and have holes and my car is 22 years old, they would think I
            am insane!

            So it is helpful to be in this group.

            Lynn