Re:

  • Gina Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2012
      Hello Kendra,

      I feel for you and Indy.

      My TJ had difficulty walking with his hind legs this past Wednesday. He is a
      patient of Purdue's Small Animal Hospital. I had been told because of his heart
      condition, he has the potential to throw blood clots. I spoke with his
      cardiologist and she felt he might have thrown a small blood clot. He was
      prescribed 1/4 of 75 mg clopidogrel (plavix generic) pill 1X day. In addition
      to his current medicine (1/4 of 5mg benazepril 1x day and 1/4 of 12.5 mg lasix
      2X day).

      TJ's cardiologist has previously told me there are treatments for saddle
      thrombus despite what the literature says. Purdue Small Animal Hospital is a 24
      hr 7 day week facility (tele: 765-494-1107). They will consult with general
      veterinary practitioners.

      Based on what I have been told, if a kitty has a heart condition it is assumed
      to be HCM unless they can determine otherwise.

      It sounds like Indy is being a trooper and has a will to live. When I see this
      in my kitties, I continue to get and give them treatment. I'd continue to feed
      and hydrate. It might be touch and go for an uncomfortable amount of time.

      If he begins to have labored breathing then I'd drive directly to an emergency
      vet service. When TJ was in cogestive heart failure, he was given a lasix
      intramuscular injection, followed-up with pill doses. He received his inital
      treatment at the Airport Animal Emergency Hospital in Indianapolis.

      Please keep us posted on Indy's health. I am praying for his solid recovery.

      Best,

      Gina