Re: New to feline-heart

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012
      Hello Jean

      I`m sorry to hear of Harley.The good news is that you have caught it in its
      earliest stages and there is a lot can be done to help him slow the
      progression or stabilise him. Too often the first sign is heart failure which is
      more difficult to treat.

      All of my HCM cats, severe and mild cases have COQ10 at 30mg and it hasn't
      harmed any over the 5 years of taking it. But once you start it, you can't
      miss a dose. My cats are stable on their medications. Remember HCM is not
      definitely a death sentence, a lot of cats live many years and Harley may
      not progress. In mild cases, atenolol is usually given from my experience
      but Harley may not need that yet.

      In the meantime, learn to count breaths. You measure for 15 seconds whn he
      is at rest and sleeping. Find what is normal then you can quickly spot any
      signs of heart failure. Avoid steroids unless life threatening as they can
      push a HCM cat into heart failure with a single dose.

      Harley can still do all the things cats do, he is fine to play and purr and
      even run about as long as he doesn't get breathless.

    • zan200
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012
        Hi Jean,

        My 18 1/2 year old Burmese, Chloe was diagnosed at age 9 with chronic pancreatitis and was put on a very small daily dose cyproheptadine to help with her extremely poor appetite. She has since been diagnosed with stage II kidney disease, a heart murmur, and within the past 2 months, an extremely severe case of HCM with an enlarged heart/heart failure/serious fluid buildup - the works...

        I asked my vet about any potential problems regarding the "cypro" and the HCM, but she told me that to her knowledge there were no problems with the drug and Chloe's other conditions, or trouble with medication interaction (Chloe is taking Lasix, Spironolactone, and Enalapril).

        The "cypro" works well for Chloe - she receives 1/4 of a 4 mg tab 1X per day - any more makes her "spacy" - I'm told that's the most common side effect. Check again with your vet to make sure the "cypro" is safe for Harley.

        Hope this helps,
        Suzanne and Chloe =^-.-^=