New member, dental surgery needed for senior HCM and CKD cat

  • lynn49805
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
      Hi,

      I am very worried. I hope someone can help me with anesthesia information and any other information for a heart patient having surgery. My 18 or 19 year old cat had CHF and HCM when he was hospitalized and given IV fluids 8 years ago. With Lasix and an herbal formula, Anplex, his echocardiograms improved to the point that his cardiologist said his heart was within normal limits.

      He also has chronic kidney failure and is doing well until I was away for Thanksgiving. He has an upper canine tooth that has to come out as it is causing him pain.

      Does anyone have any information on anesthesia protocols? When he recovered from CHF, I had his teeth cleaned and the IV fluids increased his rate of respiration for a few days.

      On two other occasions, we had cleanings with no IV fluid, but he was catheterized in the event of an emergency. This worked for him.

      I understand with kidney disease, hydration is important.

      I just had his blood pressure taken for the first time and it is about 175, so am deciding if he needs medication.

      I looked in the files, but didn't see anything about surgery.

      Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

      I am very worried about surgery for my sweet boy.

      Lynn
    • Jean Fisher
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
        Lynn,

        I am just new to the group and can't help you with the anesthesia for his dental surgery but my cat was just diagnosed with HCM and I see you mentioned giving your cat Lasix and Anplex with good results.  Where did you get these medications?  I hope everything goes all right with your cat.

        Jean

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
          Hi Lynn

          Oreo, one of the heart cats, recently had dental surgery and there was a
          lot of detailed information on the safest anaesthetics. I hope someone can
          forward that to you. Both of my serious heart cats have had surgery on their
          teeth and it is a risk, but an essential one. Toothache is horrible. As you
          are also balancing kidney issues then it is likely he would need fluids
          for surgery, but I havent had that experience.

          His blood pressure is high, even for a surgery visit. I would definitely
          want to start amlodipine or similar. High blood pressure can affect the
          kidneys and cause blindness.

        • lynn49805
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
            Jean,

            Lasix was prescribed by the cardiologist and Anplex was prescribed by our holistic vet. Anplex is available online, but you should consult with a vet before giving medication to your cat. You can search for a holistic vet by state at: http://ahvma.org/Widgets/FindVet.html

            Luckily our cardiologist was open to this. Our holistic vet said this had reversed HCM in a number of his patients. We had echocardiograms every 6 months and saw improvement each time, until his echo was normal!

            Good luck,

            Lynn

            >my cat was just diagnosed with HCM and I see you mentioned giving your >cat Lasix and Anplex with good results.  Where did you get these >medications?  I hope everything goes all right with your cat.
            >
            > Jean
          • Mary McKee
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
              What's the dose recommended by your holistic vet for the Anplex? I'm curious about this and will have to do some online research to learn more about it. I'm working with a cardiologist and would like to run this by her. Anything that could improve HCM is worth a shot.
            • lynn49805
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
                Mary,

                Every cat is different so I would give any herbal medication under the guidance of a holistic veterinarian. Holistic remedies can have side effects. We used it 8 years ago, so sorry, I don't remember the dosage.

                Our cardiologist knew nothing about An-Plex, but after my cat improved, his attitude toward holistic medicine changed. It was expensive and still is. Apparently it was discontinued by the manufacturer, Integrative Therapeutics, but is still available online. The company has other herbal formulas for cardiac issues. Do try to find a holistic vet if you are interested in this type of treatment as there are other options for your cat.

                Lynn

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Mary McKee <marylmckee@...> wrote:

                > What's the dose recommended by your holistic vet for the Anplex?
              • Jordan
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Hi Lyn

                  I was faced with a similar situation just 3 weeks ago. My HCM kitty needed emergency surgery for corneal ulcers!!

                  I literally had to make a decision in a matter of minutes or run the risk of her eye perforating. I was terrified. All I could do is tell my baby I loved her, tell her to fight and trust God would take care of my girl. The ONLY thing I had was the Anesthesia Protocol from her cardiologist.

                  I am pleased to say Sheba did WONDERFULLY. They followed my cardiologist outline and there were no issues during surgery, recovery or post surgery. No ill effects whatsoever. They said her breathing and blood pressure were perfect.

                  I will paste you the protocol below:

                  I am attaching the actual report the above text came from Sheba's cardiologist. I hope it comes through. Good luck with your surgery. And please keep us posted.

                  Love and kitty kisses,
                  Jordan and Sheba

                • Mosaic.artist@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Hi Jordan,

                    Hearing your story is a great comfort to me. I am so glad the surgery was successful for your cat.

                    Thank you for sharing this!!! Deep breath:) I didn't see the protocol in the email. If it is an attachment, could you please send it to my email: mosaic.artist@.../

                    Would you also mind sharing your cat's diagnosis too? I have several appointments and will be gathering information. Then scheduling surgery.

                    Lynn

                    On Dec 7, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Jordan <thegapgal@...> wrote:
                    > I will paste you the protocol below:
                    >
                    > I am attaching the actual report the above text came from Sheba's cardiologist. I hope it comes through. Good luck with your surgery. And please keep us posted.
                    >
                    > Love and kitty kisses,
                    > Jordan and Sheba

                  • Jordan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Lynn,

                      Sheba is a 8 year old special needs torti point himalayan. I call her the BILLION DOLLAR kitty. (She was the MILLION DOLLAR kitty until the recent corneal grafts in both eyes). I love her dearly and the more money she costs me the MORE I love.

                      Sheba suffers from feline asthma and HCM.

                      But she also has had her share of other issues too. She has suffered from struvite stones, rodent ulcers (lips) and more recently corneal ulcers in both eyes. This year has been especially difficult on Sheebs. She also had an allergic reaction to her rabies vaccine, went into anaphalix shock and had a couple of bouts with vomiting and diarrhea. The ER knows both of us by name. :)

                      But we are planning on 2013 being a MUCH QUIETER year.

                      Jordan and Sheba

                      Hearing your story is a great comfort to me. I am so glad the surgery was successful for your cat.

                      Thank you for sharing this!!! Deep breath:) I didn't see the protocol in the email. If it is an attachment, could you please send it to my email: mosaic.artist@.../

                      Would you also mind sharing your cat's diagnosis too? I have several appointments and will be gathering information. Then scheduling surgery.

                      Lynn

                      On Dec 7, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Jordan <thegapgal@...> wrote:

                      I will paste you the protocol below:

                      I am attaching the actual report the above text came from Sheba's cardiologist. I hope it comes through. Good luck with your surgery. And please keep us posted.

                      Love and kitty kisses,
                      Jordan and Sheba

                      Reply to sender

                      Reply to group

                      Start a New Topic

                    • Mosaic.artist@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
                        I laughed until I cried reading this! Perfect therapy for stress and worry.

                        What we do for our pets! Your poor kitty. Terrible what you both have been through. Every time I get a little money, there is a pet who needs care. My car needs work, but animals come first.

                        Let's hope 2013 will be a better year!!!

                        Lynn
                        PS You should be able to get an exemption so Sheba doesn't need a rabies vaccine!