Re: [FH] Chloe Update - Another Crisis Episode

  • BubbaCat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
      Suzanne,
      Have you considered Spironolactone? I've used it when Lasix wasn't enough,
      especially when hypokalemia was a concern.
      _http://www.1800petmeds.com/Spironolactone-prod10595.html_
      (http://www.1800petmeds.com/Spironolactone-prod10595.html)

      We've also done chest taps, at both the cardio office and our regular vet
      hospital.

      Jo
      _________________________________

      In a message dated 12/5/2012 10:16:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      zan200@... writes:

      Hi All...

      It's been a rough couple of days... Chloe again did not "look right" to me
      over the weekend - despite having a low respiration rates all through
      Monday night.

      Tuesday her rr shot up to 40 multiple times along with deeper more rapid
      breaths, etc. I gave her 1 whole Lasix and called the vet - vet said I did
      the right thing, and I scheduled an appointment for today.

      Vet took another X-ray and found Chloe filling up with fluid again. Vet
      was very, very concerned as the increased Lasix dose is still not
      successfully removing the fluid buildup. I now have Chloe on 1 Lasix 2X a day for one
      week, then back next week for another X-ray.

      No potassium as Chloe's sensitive stomach is a concern - she did not want
      to eat after I tried her on the postassium supplement over the weekend. The
      vet will check this out next week also.

      I keep telling the vet I think I'm crazy because I seem to be able to
      sense when Chloe is having problems before the symptoms actually appear. She
      said not to doubt myself as I've been proven right ever since this whole HCM
      problem began. I'm so "in tune" with Chloe I really do pick up on the most
      minor changes...

      The vet is checking with the Internist who did Chloe's ultrasound to see
      if there are any other meds besides or in addition to the Lasix to reduce
      fluid - I'm concerned as to what our next step is if the increased Lasix
      dosage still doesn't help.

      Does anyone have a similar problem with the Lasix not really working?

      Thanks,
      Suzanne and Chloe

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
        Hi Suzanne.

        Poor Chloe :-(  What did they do to alleviate the fluid build-up?  Did they remove any fluid at the vet?

        Can you tell us the dose of lasix Chloe was getting before the crisis and what the current dose is?  It sounds like it just needs to be increased.  There is another diuretic called spironolactone which I do not use, but others in the group do.  You would give this along with the lasix.

        Good call on giving Chloe the lasix once you saw she was having difficulty.  Now we just need to get to the point where that is not happening.  I really think you need to continue a higher dose of lasix and possibly add spiro.

        How is her breathing now?

        Laurie